Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 68319 times)

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
 :-\ i liked the old way

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
but isn't the BBC News website, or any other website, only the size you/your computer wants it to be. 

No, it's a fixed width, the same width as this site. The 'grey bits' are 'white bits' on their site.
Isn't it strange though. After years of hardware manufacturers selling us wide screens for PCs and on laptops, and websites working on a "screen width percentage" basis (i.e. an element of the website takes up - say - 80% of your screen width - whatever width that may be). Now websites (like BBC News) have started working on a fixed width, meaning the wider your screen the more of the wasted white space you see. ???

I just don't get it!
Have to put my specs on just to read a text message!! ;D ::)
Couldn't imagine how I'd cope with TV or internet on my phone!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Trystan, could we please have the yellow (or whatever colour you'd like) indicator back on the boards to show what threads we have posted in? It's not very helpful to have them all mixed in together.
Cheers,
China

Yes, thanks for spotting this - we will put in on the job list that we will be tackling. It's very useful at a glance to see the posts we have taken part in.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline goldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Fab work Trystan and team.   I appreciate the hard work and time put in to this upgrade But as a Dyslexic I find the main Site FAR to busy  especially that some signature lines are bigger then the post lol .
 It's NOT a problem as I changed to mobile version on my 19" screen No adds  NO sig lines. very clean and simple FANTASTIC. Well Done

p.s. when will chat be back I'm getting withdrawal symptoms lol
Cooper     Camberwell. Manchester
Callow        I.O.M.
Ellis, Heatley, Hayden,  Manchester
Mellings     Mertha

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm still finding my way around.

I still haven't found my past posts but will continue looking.

Do we need to have 'new' after each county?  As they are not part of the same word/image the 'new' can appear on the next line.  Surely having the county name in bold is enough to show that new posts have been made since you last viewed that board.

Some people say the font is too small others too big  ???  I've tried adjusting the font size which I find a bit small but if I make it bigger then the headings are too large.  The tall font used in the headings, especially in red, is not easy on the eyes.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Agreed ReadyDale,  and out of curiosity I would be very interested to know what percentage would 'work', ie post - both new, and replies to others - on the mobile gadgets rather than wait till they have a desktop/laptop, and the time to do a 'proper' job.

I'm not a Luddite by any means but mobiles are great for a quick check in to see what's afoot, but that's all, or are we going to see posts in txt-spk from now on.   

No good doing real research running down the street.  Just my opinion.

Susan  living in hope of not being shot down

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Yuk
Horrible font, all squashed up
Really hate the new design

I agree! And I hate the colour scheme with all that brown, so dark and depressing!
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »

The funny old thing about human nature and resistance to change is that in 5, 7, or whatever number of years time that the next big refresh of the website takes place, people will invariably look back and comment fondly on the new look revealed today!  :)   

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Trystan, could we please have the yellow (or whatever colour you'd like) indicator back on the boards to show what threads we have posted in? It's not very helpful to have them all mixed in together.
Cheers,
China

Yes, thanks for spotting this - we will put in on the job list that we will be tackling. It's very useful at a glance to see the posts we have taken part in.

Trystan

Thankee kindly, Trystan :)
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull