Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 68363 times)

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 20 December 12 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I missed you while you were off drinking tea and eating biscuits, and you can do whatever you like because RootsChat is my favourite site - I enjoy just reading the posts and learning about family history, even when it not my own!
Best wishes to all, Anne
Ps. The font is large and easy to read on my IPad   :D
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 20 December 12 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Love the new look, i've just one problem, when i click on forum and then go to unread topics i only get one topic that was posted today.
I know i can read the new topics as they come on the home board but (as a "don't want to miss anything" person) i do like to check .... just in case  :D :D
Jo
Sorry found another "unread" button to click on near the login - not quite sure why there are two on the page but the second one works a treat.
Jo  :-\
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 20 December 12 13:51 GMT (UK) »
The "unread" at the top left near the login/logout is for the whole forum,
the "unread" on the right is for that board only (if I've understood you correctly :) )

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 20 December 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Wow  :o.  Massive shock this morning but having had a quick look around I am sure its just a case of getting used to the new look and layout.  Obviously much thought and hardwork has gone into the revamp.  Thank you to all involved.

A very Happy Christmas from Malta to all my Rootschat friends  8).

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 20 December 12 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I really like it!  I like how the 'stickys' are now much easier to see, and the font doesn't bother me.  It looks much fresher and cleaner - we'll all get used to it before long, and wonder what the old one looked like!

PS - love the quick links bit at the bottom, it's much easier to jump to forums from there!
Same here far to much on the page. Having to scroll down to far to search items. If it aint broke 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 20 December 12 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Trystan after all your hard work, am I the only one brave enough to say I don't like the new website?  :'(  Please return the print to black on the topic boards, the colour (whatever it is called) is very hard to read.  Usually I scan through the list of Unread Topics to see if there are any I'm interested in, but I gave up today as the different font colours and sizes on a bluish-grey background made it difficult to read through quickly.  Also I don't know if it is my laptop, but there is a grey stripe either side of the web page.  I can get rid of it by increasing the font size to a ridiculously large size but that's obviously not the answer.

Lizzie

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 20 December 12 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your hard work I am sure we will get used to it in time . Now to have a good look around the site Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 20 December 12 14:04 GMT (UK) »
The "unread" at the top left near the login/logout is for the whole forum,
the "unread" on the right is for that board only (if I've understood you correctly :) )

Bob

Thanks , Bob, all makes perfect sense when you know!

Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 20 December 12 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all the team for your hard work.

Overall I like the changes, though it will take a while to find my way around, but:

1)The "unread" posts listing now seems awash with different fonts & colours and to me has lost clarity. In particular the line between posts in almost invisible (white against off-white on my screen). As this is my usual route into the site I'm finding it hard to spot posts that are of interest or that I might be able to help with.

2)As others have said the borders either side of the forum which as far as I can see have one item the "Contact Support" button, seem a huge waste of screen space

3)Huge text on home page - the size makes me want to back away from my screen!

4)Instead of the emoticon I've got the word embarrassed in between the other santas.

Sorry to be critical - overall I think it's an improvement though!