Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 68388 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #441 on: Saturday 22 December 12 10:38 GMT (UK) »
With the new software you now have 24 hours to check your posts for typos etc. 
After that they can't be modified.

Oh dear.....methinks there'll be some typos there forever......   ;D   ;D
Some people seem to type a reply, save it and go on to the next topic without checking their work, but I think most of us do check what we've written :)

You can always ask a moderator to correct the worst mistakes.  Unfortunately too many people were using the edit facility to change the information in their posts after further information had been received. This meant that some of the following replies suddenly made no sense.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: Saturday 22 December 12 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Tis OK, Bob.....I'm just laughing at the thought of having some of my typos there forever.    ;D
I do check, because I make heaps of typos with my very crooked fingers, but sometimes some do slip through, and I don't seem to notice them.
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Saturday 22 December 12 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask how you got to the Mobile site. There used to be a button in the top-right corner but I can no longer find it.

That was causing a lot of problems for non-mobile users who clicked it by mistake, so Trystan removed it.

The software will recognise what type of computer is being used and set the style accordlingly, but it's possible that some hand-held devices will not be recognised.

well it didn't recognise an ipad  :-\
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Tis OK, Bob.....I'm just laughing at the thought of having some of my typos there forever.    ;D
I do check, because I make heaps of typos with my very crooked fingers, but sometimes some do slip through, and I don't seem to notice them.

It doesn't matter what order letters are in a word. ... Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

Hope this helps  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:07 GMT (UK) »

It doesn't matter what order letters are in a word. ... Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

Hope this helps  ;D

I know it's Christmas and all that, but 11AM is a bit early to hit the sherry, isn't it ?   ;)  ;D ;D ;D

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask how you got to the Mobile site. There used to be a button in the top-right corner but I can no longer find it.

That was causing a lot of problems for non-mobile users who clicked it by mistake, so Trystan removed it.

The software will recognise what type of computer is being used and set the style accordlingly, but it's possible that some hand-held devices will not be recognised.

Good job it doesn't IMHO, i didnt like the mobile version at all. But there again it's all down to individual choice!
Having read through all the replies on this thread, i must add my two pennyworth and say that i liked it from the start and even more so now i've got used to the new layout. Well done to all concerned.

Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:09 GMT (UK) »

I don't think you'd need the mobile version on a 10" screen ?  :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately too many people were using the edit facility to change the information in their posts after further information had been received. This meant that some of the following replies suddenly made no sense.

That's excellent news that this loophole has now been closed  ;D  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Could be me but still having a problem with "shrink a link" - have given it a few tries today  :'(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada