Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 68382 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #459 on: Saturday 22 December 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Re Pels's screen resolution. I checked both my laptop and my desk top and they are both on the max setting (1680x1050 and 1600 x 900 pix - pointer on extreme right (XP) or top (Win7)  of the slider). I think tomkin told me to do this many moons ago when I last changed my monitor. When Pels did this, all the icons and text went very small, except for Rootshat. 

(It also works find on my tiny tablet :) )

brevitas

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: Saturday 22 December 12 13:56 GMT (UK) »

We have been working for many months in the background to bring you an improved service, look and feel to your RootsChat.

In order to be able to cope with the ever growing number of members, we have undertaken a massive revamp of the nuts and bolts behind what makes RootsChat what it is. We hope that these changes will make your time on RootsChat run without a hitch!

As you can imagine, with any mayor upgrade, there may be some issues which we have not anticipated or been able to test as much as we would like prior to the re-launch.

The RootsChat Team

I'm afraid I'm back with more comments - sorry for that - but when I enter the site I am reminded again of what spoils the visit for me.
I have pulled up part of your original post Trystan as an aide memoire to me.

Re: Service. Lifting the bonnet and polishing and upgrading nuts and bolts - Brilliant, it allows the wheels to turn faster and the hope that the hamster doesn't have to work too hard.

View:  The brown font used in unread thread titles I still find less prominent than the poster's name, and therefore I find my eyed drawn away from the title, resulting in it taking longer to scan the page for items of particular interest.
I know that you are receiving many compliments on the new design, and truly I appreciate all the time that you and Sarah spend in bringing such a community to me.  It's just that on a personal level this brown font does not gel.

As an example, I have tried this - posted earlier - in differing colours and find that the clarity is not always apparent; (Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe).

Is this choice of colour down to you and Sarah, and changeable?  Or, seeing the name of a web designer at the bottom of the page, have they offered the package 'as is'?  I have visited that particular design web-site and find that they do tend to favour brown in some of their examples.

I really don't want to add to any demoralisation after all you have done, nor do I want to lose any friends over my views, but if asked I will answer.

ps.  Have spellings of colour, favour etc always been underlined as incorrect, wanting me to change to the Americanised spellings?

pps:  I also agree with this from mshrmh, just seen in red post. " If we weren't bothered about RootsChat we wouldn't be here to express the concerns, so thanks for creating it in the first place!"

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: Saturday 22 December 12 14:18 GMT (UK) »

You can always ask a moderator to correct the worst mistakes.  Unfortunately too many people were using the edit facility to change the information in their posts after further information had been received. This meant that some of the following replies suddenly made no sense.
[/quote]

Now I know why sometimes replys to number of posts made no sense. There were occasions I thought it was me  ;D

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: Saturday 22 December 12 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I have to confess I haven't had a nosey around any of the boards until today, thus got no further than reading this thread and my usual daily visit to the home page to see if I can assist with any of the queries. 

Now that the home page isn't such a jangling shock to the system (translate that as;  grey brain cells had to wake up)  :D   I've now ventured into the site and I feel guilty in asking you to reconsider the colour combination of red text on pink background in the help sections as this is one of the colour combinations I have problems deciphering, especially focusing on the subject text when there's half a page of it (is this the brown that others have mentioned?).  Shades of Red is one of the colour combinations which experts in eyesight acknowledge is problematic.  I've surfed to see if I could find a helpful optical website and find that one colour combination (green) which I find easy to read is one of the colours millions of others have difficulty with and I see that the colour red can look brown to others, which explains why I got confused when chatters were mentioning the red text as "brown text"
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: Saturday 22 December 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
the colour combination of red text on pink background in the help sections
Can you give a link to an example please.  I will be working on updating the help pages in the next couple of weeks, so it would be handy to see an example :)

thanks,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: Saturday 22 December 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I think it would be this page, with the subject/started by queries

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,46.0.html

although- looking again, that's just the stickies I think.  Further down the font colour changes to brown on blue.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: Saturday 22 December 12 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's right

- locked = blue
- sticky = pink
- locked and sticky = darker pink
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: Saturday 22 December 12 15:46 GMT (UK) »
could you perhaps change titles in unread list to blue and who it is by in red or black
blue or black is much easier to read especially if you wear glasses  :-*
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: Saturday 22 December 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
ps.  Have spellings of colour, favour etc always been underlined as incorrect, wanting me to change to the Americanised spellings?

Do you use Vista and/or Mozilla as I get that now on all websites when I want to type something, even though everything on my laptop is set up for English (UK) and not English (USA)