Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 68385 times)

Offline blodwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Colin
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #477 on: Saturday 22 December 12 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I am really thankful that Trystan and Sarah (mods included) keep such a site going (especially as it is free), but I also find the new brown subject headings rather difficult to see.

I have no problem with my sight (do need glasses for reading though   :) ) but do find, that the sub-title of a post is more prominent than before.

Thank you again for a great site.

Merry Christmas to one and all and a healthy and prosperous New Year.
Gywnedd/Caernarvonshire: Roberts, Evans;
Glamorganshire: Griffiths, Thomas;
Middlesex: Sibley, Barnett;
Beds: Sibley
Kent: Jury, Hunt;
Yorkshire/Middlesbrough: Wright, Sullivan;
Irleand/Cork: Donovan, Sullivan;
Northern Ireland (Monaghan): Keefe;

Census information is crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JSHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: Saturday 22 December 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I logged on to the new site first time and to be honest I hated it

Then I came back and it was OK

And then today, I can’t remember what the old site looked like and no longer notice the new design, although on the whole I think it looks fresh and up-to-date.   There are things I don’t like, but they are basically the same things I always didn’t like about Rootschat, which never stopped me using it since it is an interesting community which I enjoy dipping in to.

It must be gutting to Trystan and others to read some of the negative posts stating people won’t be back based on initial impressions, as I know this will have taken a lot of work.  I can only encourage people to give it time to get used to it, and remember that the main part of Rootschat – the community – is still the same!

Joyce

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: Saturday 22 December 12 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry, but I don't have the best eyesight in the world and I just find it incredibly difficult to read.

Yesterday, when one of the boards I use was still in "old style", I was able to compare the two, and the list of topics was in blue on yellow, clear and vibrant.  (It was also very neat - the new look sprawls, with many fewer topics on a page without scrolling.)  Everything in the new board seems to be "dull" on "dull" and my poor old eyes are working so hard to decipher the words I'm struggling to take on the meaning of a post.

I know there's been a huge amount of work done, and I hate criticising, but it's such a struggle I thought I needed to say something.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: Saturday 22 December 12 18:07 GMT (UK) »
You can adjust the screen brightness in Control Panel - Hardware and Sound- Power Options.
Stan       

Hi Stan

Sorry but I do not want to change the overall brightness of my screen It is only this site that I have had a problem with.  I THINK that something has been done about it, so hopefully I shall be ok now!

snaptoo
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: Saturday 22 December 12 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I just don't understand why this link http://www.rootschat.com/  takes one to the welcome page which shows the subjects in blue, and yet this one  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=unread  has to have the brown.

I think blue or black is easier to read by the majority, whereas reddish/brown seems to be causing difficulty for some.

Think of those images where a picture is hidden in a whole load of dots.   A lot of people can never find the picture as the red and green used are not easily distinguishable to many.

I know - am I nit-picking again?   :-\

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: Saturday 22 December 12 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Nothing to do with  my previous posts............

I have unsubscribed to notifications of replies to this topic twice and I am still being notified!

snaptoo
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: Saturday 22 December 12 18:37 GMT (UK) »
 :)  yep i like it  :D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: Saturday 22 December 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Trystan -

Please do not see the negative comments on this thread as a personal attack on your abilities - you spent many weeks doing this and everyone appreciates that dedication to RC, but any designer, when putting their designs before an audience gets praise and flack. Few are genius enough to cover all the bases first time out of the gate.

From reading the comments it seems that people are having problems with the font sizes/amount of different fonts and the colours of fonts on differing backgrounds. I'm sure that can easily be addressed.

I have another concern: the navigation panel for countries/counties etc. is located at the bottom of the page (in black) - I thought it was some unimportant afterthought at first glance when in fact it is one of the most important menus on the site for finding your way around. Something that important should be at the top of the page and prominent, not tucked away like this.

I do worry that people who come on the site are being advised to tinker with their computer resolution. They did not need to do that on the previous design so why is it a problem with this design? 

I expect RootsChat to iron out the problems in the coming weeks and look forward to visiting in the future as it is the friendliest most helpful place for finding the ancestors and I'm grateful there are people dedicated enough to run this place.   

Take heart Trystan! There is the Shock of the New and there is the snagging list - and they are two very different things.  ;)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: Saturday 22 December 12 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trystan and all the backroom guys/girls is there a mobile version of the "New" format, as I still have " Contact Support" hanging over this post, and the only apparent avenue into unread threads is firstly to go into my PM's and then I can see replies to your posts etc, a lot easier than on day one of new format, as worked out how to negotiate, but just wondered?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk