Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 68381 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #324 on: Friday 21 December 12 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if this has already been raised and answered - I haven't read the whole thread  :-[

And that's meant to be the embarrassed smilie!!

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Friday 21 December 12 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all from me too. I realise the appearance of the site is the least significant part, and the technical aspects and the functioning are what is really important. I'm not finding it hard to get around, and I really appreciate the mobile version.

I still don't like the brown, but that's just my personal taste!

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Friday 21 December 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »

I love the whole new format - and what a huge difference !! Fantastic !!

Trystan, a great big thankyou to both you and Sarah for putting in all the hard work, every second has paid off.

:) :) :)

My only problem is with how my screen is viewing the font. I've spoken to 'brevitas' and because she wasn't having the same issues as me - we've compared how our computers are set up. We both use Firefox and our settings are identical, we also allow the pages to choose their own fonts. But ... mine looks different and I'm having trouble with my eyes when normally my vision isn't too bad.

I've attached the examples - hoping either you or Bob can advise me how to alter it, please ?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Friday 21 December 12 17:41 GMT (UK) »
When I post a reply the whole thing disappears and I have a blank page. I have to then reopen the main page and start again. I must be doing something wrong but I'm not sure what as this didn't happen before.

The other thing that puzzles me is why the title Child Boards next to each country on the main menu?

I can see a huge amount of work has gone into the revamp and no doubt I'll eventually find my way around it but I have to agree about the new font and it's colour I also find it difficult to read.

I'm editing this to say my post posted fine on this board but the problem occurred on the Lancashire Look Up boards which is still the old style so perhaps that's the problem. As I said above I'll get used to eventually.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Friday 21 December 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry but I find the appearance of the whole new site ghastly

As I have stated before the thin red/brown font is awful

Also my monitor is elongated in the horizontal direction and I cannot get anywhere near enough on the page
Everything is a little too large and there is far too much blank space on the screen

I will definitely use the site less - it is just less usable
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Friday 21 December 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether this has already been brought up as I have not been able to read the whole thread. 

The centre of the page is far too bright!!! My eyes feel as if they are being 'drawn' and it has given me a headache!  There are at least 2 other people on the YTG who are having exactly the same problem.

I have spent the last 40+ years with eye problems - including having 6 operations - and if nothing can be done to change the bright screen, then I shall have to severely curtail my visits to what is/was a wonderful site.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!

snaptoo
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: Friday 21 December 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
My only problem is with how my screen is viewing the font. I've spoken to 'brevitas' and because she wasn't having the same issues as me - we've compared how our computers are set up. We both use Firefox and our settings are identical, we also allow the pages to choose their own fonts. But ... mine looks different and I'm having trouble with my eyes when normally my vision isn't too bad. how to alter it, please ?

It looks like brevitas has used the "Control +" in the browser which increases the size. The small vertical line on the stitching on that screenshot suggest that anyhow.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Friday 21 December 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pels, I don't have the answer of course, but can tell you that on my screen at work the page looked like yours, but on my larger screen at home it's more like that of brevitas.

Zooming in does fill the page more, and narrows the grey bands at the side, but the font is then enlarged far too much.

Perhaps someone will come up with the definitive solution.

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: Friday 21 December 12 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, I really appreciate you running Rootschat but I hate the new look - I'll try and get used to it.  :'(
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.