Author Topic: Sampson Cartwright, Nantwich  (Read 3829 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sampson Cartwright, Nantwich
« on: Wednesday 01 June 05 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

Can anyone give me any information at all on Sampson Cartwright, born Nantwich 1784, died Willaston 1864, or on his son, Sampson Edward Cartwright, born Nantwich, 1809, died London, 1891.

I understand that Sampson Edward emigrated to South Africa, possibly in the 1850s, and possibly taking his son, John Dean Cartwright with him. I have no idea how long he stayed there, or when or why he returned.

Any information on anything at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Offline sheikhalbadou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sampson Cartwright, Nantwich
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have found a Sampson Cartwright c1785 on the 1861 census living in Crewe Rd, Willaston. His birthplace is listed as Stafford however.

He is living with wife Emma c1787 (Doddington, Cheshire) and Ann Gough (servant). His profession is retired confectioner.

I have found his marriage on the IGI - he married Emma Perry on 9 February 1806 in Nantwich. Apart from Sampson Edward his other children I can find are John (1811), William (1807) and Mary (1808) all born in Nantwich.

However - also on the IGI I discovered there were two Sampson Cartwrights born in 1784 one in Nantwich and one in Stafford.

From the 1861 census it would seem it is the Stafford one who was the father of Sampson Edward (unlesss by some huge coincidence they both married an Emma)

I'm afraid I have probably only confused matters! Let me know if there's anything else I can check out for you

Regards

Sue :-\
CHS: Stevenson (Malpas) Brooke (Malpas) Baguley (Lymm) Bellin (Neston) Metcalf (Shocklach/Farndon)
DBS: Roberts (Borras Hovah, Wrexham) Rowe (Holt, Wrexham)
LCS: Clitheroe (St Helens)
STF: Lawrence (Church Eaton)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 05 16:08 BST (UK) »
Confused matters? No, not at all - in fact, clarified something. I remembered I'd seen a Stafford connection somewhere, but couldn't remember where and couldn't find it.

No, I need to do a bit of unpicking, but your information is very helpful.

Thankyou very much!

Neil

Offline andrewl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 18:37 BST (UK) »
Neil,
I can give  you some local information about Sampson Cartwright.
I am a local historian interested in Nantwich and Willaston history. I have been involved in the recent formation of Willaston History Group.
I know that Sampson Cartwright was a successful confectioner, so much so that he built a large house in the Nantwich/Willaston area that was originally called Cheney Brook House or maybe China Brook House after the nearby brook. Later it was called Willaston Cottage.This large house was nicknamed "Gingerbread Hall" by locals referring to the money made from the confectionery trade. After many years as a private house it was turned into a Hotel called the Cedars. This hotel was eventually demolished around 2000 and houses built on the site. There is an older housing estate behind the site. The road is called Gingerbread Lane.
On the 1845 Tithe map Sampson Cartwright is shown as the owner of the windmill on Crewe Road opposite the house but nearer Nantwich where Mount Drive is now.
He also owned some fields down Birchin Lane. Cottages were built on these fields and were initially called Cartwright's Row but have since been renamed as Heathbank Cottages and Banktop Cottages.
The confectionery shop that Sampson Cartwright ran was in High Street and was later taken over by the Worsey family. It was demolished around 1960. There are photographs of both The Cedars Hotel and worsey's shop in my book "Lost Houses in Nantwich"
I might be able to send you a couple of photos.Sampson Cartwright Worsey, his grandson I think was Hotel Manager of The Brine Baths Hotel,again also demolished.
Andrewl

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 12 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for that information !!

My own Gt Gt Gt Grandfather, William Cartwright, was born in Willaston c1796. However, I can find no trace of his birth.

Willaston can't have had a huge population then?? A dozen families?? So I think it is highly likely that he was at least related to the 'Sampson' family. But over the past 20 years of 'on and off' research, I've never been able to establish a link.

Is there any way in which you can help???

Thank you,

Neil

Offline andrewl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Neil,
I may be able to help. I don't know if you are familiar with the Cheshire Parish Register Project but it might help you. You will find it under Cheshire Resources in Rootschat. I have had a quick look at the website and the nearest baptism I can find is William Cartwright baptised Nantwich 26/5/1797. This could be him. Access to the actual registers should give one or both parents with a bit of luck. I notice there are a couple of Sampson Cartwrights baptised somewhat earlier yet our Sampson Cartwright beleived he was born at Stafford. There is room for research here. Cartwright seems to be a common name in the Nantwich area.
Andrewl