Author Topic: Are there settlement and removal records available for Wiltshire say 1780-1790  (Read 487 times)

Offline merlinmagic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merry Christmas Everyone.
I have been stuck with one particular great x4 grandfather for many years. He died after three years of marriage and two children. My question is if his widow came from anther parish (as did he) would the church have sent her and the children back to her home parish or would they allow her to stay. If she was born in the parish then she most likely would stay but if she came from another parish would  church council (wardens) have sent her back and where could I find this info please.
Thanks
Merlinmagic

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Are there settlement and removal records available for Wiltshire say 1780-1790
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
There are some removal orders indexed on FindMyPast which I gather were provided by Wiltshire FHS (although the data set doesn't actually say this) as I found one of my ancestors with his mother and sister removed from St Giles in the Fields back to Devizes in 1786.  The originals are at Wiltshire RO.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day