Author Topic: William Marshall returned to Canada 1919 ??  (Read 9422 times)

Offline mgwhite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Marshall returned to Canada 1919 ??
« on: Monday 24 December 12 11:43 GMT (UK) »
William Marshall born 1886 in Winnepeg Manitoba came to England & in 1907 joined the army, the Royal Garrison Artillery serving for 12 years as a gunner & training as a tailor. Based in Guernsey , the Channel Islands, at the Castle Cornet St Peter Port from approx 1909 to 1919 ).  According to his diary he wanted to return to Canada after his service ended in April 1919. He listed his next of kin as an uncle T Porter ( parents William & Mary dead ??? )  He may have married on his return to Canada Elizabeth Breaker & fathered 4 children ??? Has anybody any information on William or his possible family ?

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Marshall returned to Canada 1919 ??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 December 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I think I might have him.Marshall, William Percy Petit.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 07:07 GMT (UK) »
From looking at his pension file at Ancestry, it indicates that he married Katherine Barrett in Gursey on 23 Jul 1910 and they had one daughter named Beatrice Doris who was born 5 Feb 1918 in Southampton (Free BMD lists a birth for Beatrice D. Marshall in Southampton in the first quarter of 1918, vol 2C, page 110). The file doesn't say anything about a death but I did see a death for a Beatrice Marshall in Southampton in the 2nd quarter of 1918 who was under a year old (vol 2C, page 62). I have no idea whether this is the same Beatrice.

As well, his next of kin in the pension file was listed as his uncle J. Porter, not "T".

The only marriage I could find for a William Marshall and Elizabeth Breaker occurred in Brigus, Newfoundland on 2 Nov 1911 which doesn't work with the information from the military file.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mgwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks   We have his history up to May 1919 when he left the army . Beatrice born 1918  was his daughter (  by Catherine / Kate ) who lived until 22/11/1999 and had 3 daughters of which I am one ( Maxine ).  He may have had other child on Guernsey by another women, who he may have taken to Canada. Catherine also had a son by another unknown man in 1915 & she used the surname Barrett not Marshall to name him . He left his wife Catherine ( Kate ) & child ( Beatrice ) in 1919 and we assume he returned to Canada. All contact was lost but we have his diary from 1918 & his picture taken about 1919 . Thanks again & any further trace would be very help full   Maxine

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a copy of William and Kate's marriage registration? Is that where you got the names of his parents or are those the parents associated with the other William Marshall?

So far I can see no indication that he returned to Canada but I'll have another look. I've also checked a number of Winnipeg directories from 1888 and 1916 (not all) that are online and haven't been able to find anyone named Porter living on Victoria.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mgwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage certificate & it states Williams father as William Marshall  ( tailor ) deceased , mother not stated. We have Kates full history from birth to death as she remained in the UK & married again, no divorce noted,  ( to Mr Dyke )  & had a son who is still alive. The uncle of William, Mr J Porter ( stated as next of kin )  address in 1907  is stated as 8 Victoria Road Winnipeg Canada . I assume from this that Williams mothers maiden name to be Porter. From his 1918 diary we have several notes indicating William contemplating returning to Canada with the lady from Guernsey not with Kate. We are trying to trace the child born in Guernsey ( we have no name only date of birth   ) possibly to William & the unknown lady & if we do this might give us a lead . He was also in contact with several other serving Canadian soldiers . Family chat passed down the years report his return to Canada, this may be completely wrong . Thank you for your interest & help 

Offline mgwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 12 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I did find a William Marshall ( in Canadian records ) b 1886 d 1959 who married a Mary Tomlinson & they had 2 daughters  Bessie & Connie ( a picture posted & he looked similar to the photo I have ) I only took brief notes , if you have time could you look him up. Thanks Maxine

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 December 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
The online tree at ancestry for the William Marshall you refer to who married Mary Rennie Tomlinson and had daughters Constance and Elizabeth (Bessie) - daughters both deceased -
That William Marshall was born in England, married in Derby and died in Derby - no connection to Canada.  Father Isaac.  Not sure why you thought he had any connection to your search.

Offline genealogygirlais

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 18:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Marshall with Barbara and James - William is listed as 'sculptor' coming to Canada in 1920..  unfortunately it doesn't list where they are headed.  He is noted as "scotch".
Ireland: Andrew, Thompson
Scotland: Crerar, Carmichael, McDuffie, McFie, McLergan, Sword, Young
England: Grisdale, Garside, Booth, Robertshaw
Germany: Nawroth, Peiser, Schroder, Ullmann, Weidmann
Italy: Nicoletti, Torbole and Zuglioni