Author Topic: William Marshall returned to Canada 1919 ??  (Read 9421 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: William Marshall returned to Canada 1919 ??
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 March 13 19:34 GMT (UK) »
But a spoke in the wheels of this wonderful theory ...

William Marskell who married Minnie Edwards in 1910 -- they both died in BC:
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-2F8DB81/bsearch/Births,Marriages,Deaths#form

William Marskell aged 84 on 17 Oct 1972 = dob 1888 before October 17 or 1887 after October 17
-- not quite the same as 17 July 1887

Minnie Marskell aged 80 on 21 Oct 1972

A tree at mundia.com has

Margaret Josephine Marskell born 1903 Winnipeg
arrived in US 1920
married Joseph H Cornick
lived in Philadelphia and California.

Another tree there has
Frances Marskell born 1885 Canada, died 1949 Virginia
married Gabriel de Bellefeuille, daughter Marion
parents Samuel Marskell and Anna Turner

One other has Marion Ema DeBellefeiulle (spelled that way).

It could be worth contacting those tree owners, although it looks likely that they are not familiar with the Canadian family.

William and Annie's youngest son also went to the US -- Walter Marskell, 1940 census in Virginia, uncle of Marion Haughey born c1909 in Canada who would be Marion Bellefeuille:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VR12-L6Z

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 March 13 21:00 GMT (UK) »
One last record for the Marskell?s?

1916 census in Edmonton Alberta with something screwy

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KM5X-D78

William Ma?skell, 29 (1887), married, born Ontario
Francis, 27 (1889), wife, born Ontario
Edward, 25 (1891), son, born Ontario
James, 22 (1894), son, born Ontario
Margaret, 14 (1902), daughter, born Manitoba
Walter, 9 (1907), son, born Manitiba
Minnie, 15 (1901), daughter, born Manitoba
Wesley, 6 (1910), grandson, born Manitoba
Ma*, 6 (1910), granddaughter, born Manitoba
Beatrice, 3 (1913), born Manitoba

It works if Edward and James are brothers, of course -- but wife should be Minnie not Frances, and Minnie in that list is too young to be wife and too old to be daughter, and Walter is brother of William Jr, and people who are 29 don't have grandchildren, etc etc.

Anc'y seems to have all the same info and also has them as Ma?skell.

And so does collectionscanada, but we can see the image there (searched for Wesley aged 6 in Alberta, no surname):

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1916/Pages/1916.aspx
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/006003/t-21949/jpg/31228_4363978-01308.jpg

This William is indeed 29, a printer. And the whole screwy set of family relationships is just as reported.

Edward and James being sons makes sense only if this is really William Sr and daughter Frances separated from her husband.

The relationship for William has been written over - says Head but may have said son.
The relationship for Frances is written over and unintelligible; at one point it said daughter.
Minnie is actually 25, not 15, and relationship for her has daughter-in-law scratched out and wife written in (or vice versa?).
Ma* is Marion. But she was William Jr's niece, not granddaughter.

Could this actually be William Sr with
- daughter Frances and her daughter Marion
- sons Edward, James and Walter and daughter Margaret
- daughter-in-law Minnie and her children Wesley and Beatrice
meaning that Minnie's husband William had deserted the family (or gone to WWI)?

It looks mostly like it's William Sr with wife Minnie and kids, and his brothers Edward, James and Walter and sister Margaret, and his married sister Frances with her kids.

Oh, lord 'a mercy, where were my eyes. Right above them, and the source of the surname in the list, are

William Marskell (as I read it), 53, tailor, born England
Annie, 51, born Ontario

So the relationships are all to William Sr, not William Jr as FS has it.

So it looks like the entire Marshall / Marskell / Maskell clan from Ontario/Manitoba is accounted for in 1916, including William born 17 July 1887 in Toronto.

And it looks like they are a giant clan of red herrings, despite the apparent matches (age, father's name and occupation) with your William. I guess I will leave them all here to rule them out just in case someone else gets the same bright idea.  ::)

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:38 GMT (UK) »
There is no J or T Porter to be found living on Victoria Road in Winnipeg in 1906, 1911 or 1916 census.  This street name does not exist in modern Winnipeg.
Like others cannot find a likely William Marshall in the 1891, 1901 and 1906 Manitoba census or pre-1890 vital stats.
Starting to look like an invented past.

Offline mgwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 October 13 14:14 GMT (UK) »
This is a picture of 4 Royal Garrison Artillery soldiers taken about 1918/1919 . We believe the person on the right is William Marshall , but we do know for certain he is one of the men. I know this is a long shot but does anybody recognise him as a relative ?   Maxine

Offline mgwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 October 13 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry picture to large to attach

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 October 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Singular lack of response to any responses/efforts, e.g.:

"We now believe William Marshall may have left the UK ( back to Canada ) in 1923"
- can you explain on what basis?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 October 13 22:04 GMT (UK) »
William joined the military in 1907 and remained in the military until the end of WWI.

I am not giving anything away if I say that in 1911, there were 26 men with various variations on the name William Marshall enumerated in the military, and not one of them gave anywhere in Canada as a place of birth.

Only one matches our William's military details, i.e. in the RGA. Unfortunately, I can't find him in the 1911 records at FamilySearch; if you have access elsewhere you should be able to find him. However, our William's pension record shows no overseas service. I don't know whether a pension record could be relied on for complete accuracy in that regard.

John William Marshall, Sept quarter 1885, Uppingham reg dist

(Uppingham reg dist covers Medbourne, Leicestershire)

See below: this JWM went by his middle name.

1901 in Leicester

William John Marshall, 48, groom, born Loughboro
Emma, 36, born Medbourne (second wife, if married)
John Wm, 15, Boot M Shoe Finisher, born Holt? Northants
Ernest, 14
Maggie, 11
Herbert, 8
Harold, 6
Alfred, 3
Charles, 2
Percy, 1

Second given names or initials in census records are commonly an indication that the person went by the middle name. For instance, the father in 1901 above was initially entered as W. John, so he evidently went by middle name, John, with his son then going by his own middle name, William.

1891 in Great Bowden (Market Harborough reg dist)

William J Marshall, 40, stud groom
Mary, 33
John W, 5, born Medbourne
Ernest W, 4
Maggie H, 2

And here is an alternative thought.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=50940&&PHPSESSID=3bcu6loddncqp84eroaq9pp532

Home Children who were settled in Canada.

Surname: MARSHALL
Given Name: William

Sex: M
Ship: Tunisian
Year of Arrival: 1900
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 1900-09-27
Arrival Port: Quebec
Arrival Date: 1900-10-06
Party: Barnardo Homes
Destination: Russell, Manitoba
Comments: 15 young people
Type of Record: Passenger Lists - Group of Children Traveling Together

This young man would have been going to Manitoba to be a farm labourer -- the occupation given by our William on his attestation to the RGA. It was not unusual for a Home Child's age to be slightly overstated in that situation; the age of my great-aunt's husband, a Home Child sent to Canada a few years later who became a farm labourer, was. A home child giving a next of kin might give the name of the foster parent / employer with whom he resided and call the person uncle for convenience, especially if he had things he wanted to conceal about his English origins. A young man reinventing himself and joining the military was often parsimonious with his personal details.

There is a Victoria Road in Springstein, Manitoba, a farming community just outside Winnipeg. There was likely no such community there in 1906, and I'm danged if I can figure out what district that location would have been in.

http://cybrary.uwinnipeg.ca/people/dobson/gfa/1901_census/index.cfm

Offline David Marskell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 14:56 GMT (UK) »
As a direct descendant, I can clarify the history of Marskell's in Winnipeg to an extent based on what I actually know. My grandfather, William (Barney) Marskell was born on 17 July, 1887 in Goderich, Ont. He had a number of siblings including, Margaret, Frances. Edward, James and Walter. My great-grandparents would divorce. Annie Turner took children Frances and Walter and moved to Virginia, USA. They are the children of William Marskell (Tailor) and Annie Turner. At some point, they all ended up in Winnipeg. My grandfather married Minnie Edwards. My father, William Wesley Marskell was born in Winnipeg, 1911. At some point shortly thereafter, they all ended up in Edmonton and my grandfather and father, would eventually make it to Vancouver where I was born.