Author Topic: WW1 photo? Any info? Possible Uniform Lookup please?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline christiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WW1 photo? Any info? Possible Uniform Lookup please?
« on: Wednesday 26 December 12 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Here is another photo found in a suitcase in a family attic this Christmas. It had written on the back "Grandad Hastie" and has a little cross next to what I presume is him. He was born in 1876 in Coldstream Berwickshire and the family thought he'd been too old to be part of WWI, but don't think he was in the army either as he was a farm hand. He would have been 38 at the start of WWI, so not too old to sign up?

If anyone can tell me anything about the photo, I'd be grateful, thank you.

Knox's of Bamburgh/Wooler/Scotland?,
Smith's of Beadnell/Berwick-upon-Tweed/Ord
Hastie's of Berwick-upon-Tweed
Vosts of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Poots of Northern Ireland
Hydes of Northern Ireland

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 photo? Any info? Possible Uniform Lookup please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 01:01 GMT (UK) »
The photograph failed to appear. Upper age limits varied as to the year of recruitment (how desperate the services were!). For a man with no previous military service it the upper age limit seemed to be 41. Did he die or survive the war?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Try right clicking on the square in the original post. (there were problems with this last night)

Or see if this works- click here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Try right clicking on the square in the original post. (there were problems with this last night)

Or see if this works- click here

Like Barry, I don't see the image in the OP either - and I don't see a square :(  I'm glad, but also worried, that it's not just me having this problem...

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

This seems to be a browser problem.  I see nothing at all (firefox), others see the image, others see a square.
The link as given is
[ img]http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/razorblade_kisses/media/Family%20Tree/GrandadHastieWar_zps402b8f3f.jpg.html[ /img]

The '%20' usually replaces a space in an URL, but obviously not every browser can cope with this.

Christie, could you try editing the name of the folder from 'Family Tree' to 'Family_Tree' and repost the link ?  Maybe that will help.

regards,
Bob

Update: Copying the URL (with '%20') into the browser works ! It is shown in the browser window as a space.

Update2:
click HERE
also works, so another possibility is to use [ url=address] click here [ /url] but if the original poster can already see the image, then s/he doesn't know that others can't see it :(
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline christiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

the link as given is
[ img]http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/razorblade_kisses/media/Family%20Tree/GrandadHastieWar_zps402b8f3f.jpg.html[ /img]

The '%20' usually replaces a space in an URL, but obviously either the forum software or photobucket cannot cope with this.

Christie, could you try editing the name of the folder from 'Family Tree' to 'Family_Tree' and repost the link ?  Maybe that will help.

regards,
Bob

Update: Copying the URL (with '%20') into the browser works ! It is shown in the browser window as a space.

Update2:
click HERE
also works, so another possibility is to use [ url=address] click here [ /url] but if the original poster can already see the image, then s/he doesn't know that others can't see it :(

Thank you, I will try that next time

Offline christiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 11:15 GMT (UK) »
The photograph failed to appear. Upper age limits varied as to the year of recruitment (how desperate the services were!). For a man with no previous military service it the upper age limit seemed to be 41. Did he die or survive the war?

He survived the war and lived to be a ripe old age with no disabilities or war wounds.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I can't help with the uniform.  Regarding the age, my grandmother's older brother was born 1876 and was "too old" to be called up when war broke out but was one of the last ones to be called up in the latter stages of the war for "the big push".  He died overseas "killed in action" that year but his younger brothers who'd been on the front line since war broke out all came home.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Ooops, I was editing my post while others were adding to the topic.

It could be a browser problem. Some see the image, some see a square (IE), and some (like me) see nothing at all (firefox and opera)

Christie,
Do you see the posted image ?
what browser are you using ?

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)