Author Topic: James Park and son Andrew Dodds Park  (Read 12493 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: James Park and son Andrew Dodds Park
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 30 December 12 22:14 GMT (UK) »
 :-\
I searched earlier for a will for James and never found one,his wifes I posted she wasnt wealthy on her death,may be you should chase up her daughter and husband,and see if there is any thing there,

I may be over in Northumberland,towards the end of Jan,weather permitting,if you have not got any further by then I will check the marriage details for the second marriage of James. ,and see who the witnesses to the marriage were,
I also think there is a strong family connection to Joseph,the inn keeper,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 30 December 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Addison Thomas Steavenson
died Darlington 1861,
I wonder if there is a family connection ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline salhyde

• RootsChat Member
  • Milburn Jug
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 31 December 12 01:28 GMT (UK) »
:-\
I searched earlier for a will for James and never found one,his wifes I posted she wasnt wealthy on her death,may be you should chase up her daughter and husband,and see if there is any thing there,

I may be over in Northumberland,towards the end of Jan,weather permitting,if you have not got any further by then I will check the marriage details for the second marriage of James. ,and see who the witnesses to the marriage were,
I also think there is a strong family connection to Joseph,the inn keeper,

Aw that would be awesome Radford if you did that for me :-). I do get frustrated that I live so far away. If my ancestors came fro NZ it would be easier for me. My Mum did do quite a bit of running around over that last 15 years or so looking up records and we did a bit together when I was over there, but we were working on our Milburns from Sunderland at that point. She is now getting too old to be racing about for me.

I will look into the daughter as you suggest - do you mean the Pegg family?

Let me know if you need anything done from over here? I live in Wellington and would love to go check out gravestones etc for someone if they needed me to :-)
Hyde, Driver, Hirons, Tite, James, Brockwell, White, Flawn : Northampton.
Milburn, Beardall, Legender, Hall, Beck, Wilton: Sunderland
Brown, Hall, Staig, Hood: Fife Scotland
Park, Stephenson, Lister : Newcastle upon Tyne
Beardall, Duke: Nottinghamshire

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 31 December 12 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Genuki Northumberland,
An index of monumental inscriptions of Acklington Church and burial registers for Guyzance Chapel
is available from the Felton and Swarland LHS

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 31 December 12 17:51 GMT (UK) »
A few extra snippets.

In the Newcastle Courant, Feb 26th 1820. In a list of burials at Berwick and Tweedmouth.

"On the 20th inst., Mary wife of Mr. James Park, Innkeeper, aged 42."

Its just a couple of weeks after the baptism of son James, so likely due to birth complications.

The Joseph Park, Innkeeper, who died some time before 21 Sep 1824, didn't leave a will (intestate). The first claim on his estate was by a Lawyer (Addison Thomas Steavenson) so presumably he had written evidence of what he or his client was owed in loans against property etc.

The second claim was nearly a year later, must have been for the rest of his estate, a bond for £600 was a substantial sum. It must have been complicated if it took so long to prove entitlement.

The Joseph Park, Innkeeper at the Cannon in Berwick in 1826-1828 didn't inherit it as he went bankrupt in 1828. From the Edinburgh Gazette :

"The Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors.

At the Guildhall, in and for the Borough of Berwick upon Tweed, on the 21st day of April 1828.....

Joseph Park, late of the Borough of Berwick upon Tweed, Tavern Keeper."

I wonder if it was your James who scooped the lot, then blew it before he died (or passed it on to his sons). There is a long delayed project to put Durham Diocese Wills and Probate records on the net, or you can order copies. Maybe best to wait for them to go online as I am just speculating.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 31 December 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
 :D
Wolfie
Speculate to accumulate,
what isn't relevant now may be later on ,
your information,is very detailed and gives great leads,to follow up,

Offline salhyde

• RootsChat Member
  • Milburn Jug
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 31 December 12 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan,

This is great! thank you very much.

Now I know I'm speculating also so, I think I will order a copy of this. If you could give me a quick indication as to how and where I go (online) that would help. I've never done it before.

So, to me this sort of shows possibly why the occupation changed. Joseph died intestate and the inn had to be sold to pay back debts and for all who wanted some money, so it's sold. The children now needed new work. MY James has quite a lot of kids by this time (if all the baptism are his it makes by 1824 John, Joseph, Samuel, William and James, from Mary 1st and John Mason, and Jane, from Mary 2nd) that is 6 kids of course some could have died and there is another James later on and Andrew Dodds 1st and Robert Crisp both die in childhood. Also he had suffered the loss of his first wife (I'm feeling for James here). It's a bit of a mystery how he became a land owner later on in life. The Joseph 1826 - 1828 I'm still picking is his brother? What do you think?

Sally

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 31 December 12 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sally, sorry I can't help but I have been reading all the posts and think it has proved to be very interesting if very complicated.  It has taken me ages to read and I still don't think I have grasped the whole story.  It goes to show how very helpful the CHATTERS can be.

Happy new year, and keep searching

Barbara
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline salhyde

• RootsChat Member
  • Milburn Jug
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 31 December 12 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara, it has been a very interesting journey so far. This is esp. cool as my Grandma Park died during the birth of my Mum. We, most of our lives had minimal to no info about this family, so getting this far back and getting a feel for them is fantastic. I just emailed my mum with all this breaking news :-)

Sally