Author Topic: John Cripps (Crips/Crippes) Bampton  (Read 5677 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Cripps (Crips/Crippes) Bampton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 December 12 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay,  so sorry to have been the bearer of ill tidings   :(

I have been working out another bit of evidence which I think ties in.  There is a will on the Oxfordshire FHS board here

http://wills.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/az/wtext/basson_001.html

For a Sarah Basson,  but I am fairly sure it should be Baston,  I have found her in the 1841 & 51 census's in Aston as born 1778 in Aston,  she mentions some Cripps relations which I think are your family (though it would have helped if she had given George his full name of George Jones Cripps).  The will says she is a widow but makes it fairly plain she had no children of her own,  she refers to John, James, Edmund and George Cripps as her first cousins children of her aunt & uncle John & Mary Cripps (though in fact John was the child of Johns first marriage to Elizabeth).  I have been working through the rellationships to see how it fits.

John Cripps (b1716) & Sarah (nee Allen) of Buckland had among their children a Betty Cripps born 1746,  there is a marriage in Bampton in 1771 of a Betty Cripps to  Joseph Rickets.  They had 2 daughters Maria in 1772 and Sara in 1778. Betty Rickets of Aston is buried in 1826 aged 79 which gives the correct approx date of birth of 1746.   Then there is a marriage in Shifford in 1799 of  John Baston to a Sarah Rickets and the Sarah Baston in the 1851 census is the correct age to be the daughter of Joseph & Betty Rickets.

So I think this is a further bit of evidence for the theory I put forward above.

I hope you don't mind too much going back through your papers  :-\ 

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lindz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 December 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Debbie,
you are my saviour. My dad is 92 and I am so lucky to have this new information to correct what he has long believed to be so. I am very thankful to people such as yourself who go to the trouble of helping those who have come to a dead end or whose own research was not correct. I might never have been able to solve the origins of my Cripps family had it not been for your help. I would love to stay in touch and update you when I come across more. We live in Australia so it hasn't been easy doing the research, especially before the days of the Internet. Now, where are all my notes?  ::)
Have a Happy New Year Debbie (Oh, and also to Nigel if he reads this)

Kind Regards
Lindsay

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 December 12 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Lindsay   :)

You are very welcome - I have really enjoyed this puzzle over the last couple of days,  please let me know how you get on fitting it all in, and anything else you find, sometimes I may not get on the board for a few days as I am self employed and work has to come first,  but I have got intrigued with the various branches of the Cripps family  I shall carry on digging for a bit and see what else I can find.

Thanks for the nice comment Nigel

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk