Author Topic: GGF was a BUSHRANGER?!  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GGF was a BUSHRANGER?!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 February 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Julie, and welcome to RootsChat!

Like you say - small world!
Must say I haven't found out anything more about my guy.
Yes I read where Mr McGregor locked them in their bedroom! 
Our family think it's all highly amusing - he had just been 'a name on a piece of paper' until I found out about this short career, and was able to tie in all the 'Robert Wilson on the Turon' references to him, it being such a common name.  He was even mentioned in an article in "The Australian Women's Weekly" in 1980, on Hill End, I discovered.  I'd never have known at that stage (I'd only just started my FH research then) that I was related to this bushranger!!   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn and others who may be interested,

I have come across this piece on trove titled "The Punishment of Colonial offenders" which although very wordy discusses the review of sentences and the time most criminals spend in gaol compared to their actual sentence.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12932994

I thought it may be of particular interest Dawn as you wondered about Robert being back home so soon after being sentenced for stealing gold in 1851.

Cheers
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 February 14 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Mabeljessie

What a lot of double speak!  They didn't seem to understand that if they incarcerated someone for years, and then just released them to fend for themselves, it was almost inevitable that they would have to resort to petty crime just to feed themselves!
I have no idea what GGF was like, and obviously my mum knew nothing about it or what he was like.
She was only 6 when her own father died, and couldn't even remember what he looked like, etc.

All very intriguing!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 May 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

We have just received a letter with some exciting news..

"Wilson was an accomplice of William Day in a Robbery of a stagecoach 24th June 1859. They were both arrested the next day, but Wilson, having turned Queen's evidence, " then walked out and was off", according to Day's memoirs - Old Convict Days p241

I believe that Dawn has since come accross information which indicates the Robert Wilson was arrested in Yass in April 1862.

In my own account of the episode
http://whatthebutlerdid.wordpress.com/2008/11/16/chapter-five-william-dedicoat
(Day) tells the story quite vividly in his memoirs and emerges from it as a hero let down by his mate, Robert Wilson.  There are also the complete records of the NSW State archives which are v"Reporting on Petition Praying remission of William Day's Sentence."ery interesting, and including the letter alerting the police, sent by the Publican - himself an ex-policeman - at which inn Wilson and Day stayed overnight and where Day was betrayed in an obviously planned move on Wilson's part.  (Wilson later disappeared entirely and was never heard of again, much to the chagrin of the authorities, including Chief Justice Alfred Stephen)

As I look back at my notes, I see that Alfred Stephen wrote "What has been done with Wilson or where he is now I do not know." He wrote this in a letter to the Governor of NSW 3rd September 1864 "Reportinng on Petition Praying remission of William Day's sentence."

I will PM you the contact details :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 May 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sarah
I've read your PM and will contact this descendant of Wild Bill Day.
He's written a book about Day.
I note he still says "Wilson later disappeared entirely and was never heard of again" which isn't true, as he managed to father another two children post his escape from custody!

There's nothing in all the accounts of their short lived joint bushranging career, to say that Wilson set up Day!  They were unfortunate enough to choose to stay at a hotel where the publican was a retired policeman, and the accounts say he became suspicious of their demeanour etc. and called the actual police!

All very intriguing.   :o   :o    :o

Dawn M

Offline DaveKe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 May 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
There is a story which is supposedly a bushranger's autobiography, or maybe fiction,   about two guys who hold up the mail at Mount Victoria.   It sounds very like your story.   I read it last year but I can't remember the name.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 May 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave
Yes, I think it was probably the Bill Day memoirs book I alluded to earlier.
I've read bits of it too.  Wouldn't be surprised if some of it were fiction  ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)

The holdup was at Hartley on the Mt Victoria road.
A couple of years ago I was in the area with a cousin and friends and had a look at what was left of Hartley gaol etc, but at that stage I didn't know about GGF and his escapade or I'd have taken a few photos and paid more attention.

Dawn M

Offline wmdedicoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 04:41 BST (UK) »
Dawn, I am the Butler responsible for the Dedicoat history.  Since I first wrote the account 30 years ago I have found much more information.  I cannot remember where I came across the comment that Wilson was never seen again - it would have been in my sources rather than a personal judgement.  I am doing a complete revision of the story with all the extra material I have accumulated in the meantime.  It was great to come across your Trove discovery.  Thanks.  Tony Butler

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
Mea culpa, I should have emailed you ages ago after you contacted via Sarah.

Glad you've joined RC - it's a great forum.  There always seems to be someone who has
an answer to someone else's problem!

I'll send you my billyblue email address (that's my FH email)

Dawn M