Author Topic: Gunmaker - turner/engineer  (Read 475 times)

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gunmaker - turner/engineer
« on: Saturday 29 December 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather cited his occupations as gunmaker, engineer and turner. he lived in the Old Ford District of the East End and I believe worked at the small arms factory there. What I would like to know was what exactly did he do? Did he have to serve an apprenticeship? As an engineer/turner did he actually make the guns or did he inscribed the patterns on the handles?

He worked there from the 1860s onwards but cannot be more precise than that as he does not appear on the 1861 census or at least I cannot find him!
GCE

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Gunmaker - turner/engineer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 12 15:21 GMT (UK) »
As a turner I believe he would have served a full apprenticeship, at that time 7 years, and would actually have made the gun barrels so it was precision work. The person who did the inscriptions would have been an engraver, again I believe a full apprenticeship would have been serv ed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 12 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! Do you know where I could find his Apprenticeship Records?
GCE

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Possibly in the local archives; failing that it might be worthwhile trying the National Archives at Kew; or possibly the archives of one of the Engineering Trade Unions as it is likely he would have been a member.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 12 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks will do that!

GCE :)