Author Topic: 1 Front Street Wingate early 1900s  (Read 3212 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1 Front Street Wingate early 1900s
« on: Saturday 29 December 12 23:05 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather was Robert Bonallie born 1882 to Robert and Grace and was living in Middlesboro at the time of his Mums death in 1883, Robert Snr disappeared off the face of the earth and the next time I found Granddad was in 1901 living with his cousin in laws at 2 Bank Street Sunderland the home of William Donkin, now here is where it all starts getting a bit strange, I found Robert's militia record for 1904 and it states his mother is Mary Bonallie and he has siblings Ralph and Edward all living at 1 Front Street Wingate, Durham.  There is no Mary Bonallie as far as I am aware, so maybe his father who I cannot find anywhere moved in with a Mary and Robert thought she was his Mum, whoever she is she is his next of kin so any help with this family could help to find out what happened to both Roberts in 1891 as there is no Robert Bonallie either Grandfather or Great Grandfather in these census returns.

Many thanks
Julie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Front Street Wingate early 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 12 00:00 GMT (UK) »

in 1901 living with his cousin in laws at 2 Bank Street Sunderland the home of William Donkin

He is actually shown as brother in law and 11yr old Isabella Bonallie is shown as sister in law

Harriet Wilson Bonallie married William Donkin in 1897

1881 & 1891 census shows Harriet & Isabella's mother was also Harriet - Father in 1891 was  Alexander
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 12 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Robert Bonallie snr was b Sunderland 1855 as per 1881 entry but I can't see him anywhere after 1881
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Robert has a very grey past by the look of it, Mum Grace makes the papers due to her suspicious death and Dad Robert does a runner or so it seems.  Robert Snr's brother Alexander is the father of Isabella and Harriett and James Alexander etc so I assumed Robert didn't know about his real parents and thought he was Alexander's son, (birth certificates and marriage certificates do state Robert Snr as his father)hence he refers to himself as brother in law when he is William Donkin's cousin in law.

Robert's older half brother John is raised by Grace's first hubby William Trueman's family so it would be logical for her other son Robert to be raised by his Dad's family.  My late Dad did say one of his ancestors was abandoned on a doorstep and raised by the family but would never go any further so I assumed it must be Robert, even Dad called James Alexander's children his cousins whereas it was his Dad (my Granddad Robert Jnr) and James Alexander who were cousins. Another confusing fact there is a photo confirmed by Isabella's Grandson as being his Great Gran Harriett wife of Alexander on the back my Dad's brother had noted Grandma Bonallie, whereas she should be Great Aunt Bonallie

This is why when I found  Robert Jnr's militia papers I was astounded to come across him putting down a new family altogether as next of kin.  The only Bonallie's I've seen in Front Street are if my memory serves me correct the family of Elizabeth Crossley nee Bonallie sibling to Robert Snr and Alexander.

Regrds
Julie

I came across Elizabeth Crossley and her son Alexander Bonallie in

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to find 1 Front Street on the 1891 /1901/1911 census not had any luck if anyone can let me know who were the residents that might help to narrow down if Robert made up a family as his mother had died and his father disappeared.

Regards

Julie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast is the only website which allows a search by address on all censuses but their terms and conditions prohibit publication of specific info from their website

Ancestry 1911 is searchable by address and shows 82 entries for Front St Wingate Durham.   

Select Durham from the drop down County list

Input Wingate under Civil Parish

Input Front Street under Postal address - do not use a number

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 13 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

I used all my credits on FindMyPast looking for mariner records unfortunately.  I don't think that Mary, Ralph and Edward will turn up in Wingate to be honest, I have tried familysearch searching wingate district census and no Ralph at all on there according to them.  I had a look on ancestry whilst in the library and tried searching through the wingate images on there but couldn't find Ralph there either. 

I have a feeling Robert needed to leave a next of kin for the form and his Uncle Alexander's family didn't approve (they were navy people, not army people) so I think with not having his own parents around Robert may have made up a family to please the authorities that he had a next of kin.

Julie