Author Topic: Festiniog Look UP for WILLIAM OWEN BORN 1815  (Read 5487 times)

Offline djtreacle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Festiniog Look UP for WILLIAM OWEN BORN 1815
« on: Sunday 30 December 12 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi I recently went to Wales but missed the Dolgellau record office by an hour >:(, being stuck, transfixed looking at records in my family villages church (Church in Wales).  I really needed to search for my GGGF who was born approx 1815 according to census records in Festiniog.  I know he was more than likely chapel as that line of the family was chapel, (my Grandfather coming from a "mixed" marriage and was also Chapel, with his alternate sibilings being alternately faithed at the CIW church or chapel respectively!!).  I went on "find my past" earlier and the only William Owen that came up was a David William Owen born in 1814. I blew 20 credits but it was the only William Owen on offer :-\ I dont think this is him (the record book looked suspiciously Church in Wales :)).  My query is therefore is it possible to ask for a look up of chapel baptisms for Festiniog and would Festiniog in the 1851/61/71/81 Wales census be plain Festinog or would it relate to Blaenau ffestiniog?  Many thanks
L
Owen, Roberts: Yspytty Ifan
Wright; Clavering Essex
Watts, Barnes: Staines/Chertsey
Allen: Battersea
Nightingale: Battersea

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Festiniog Look UP for WILLIAM OWEN BORN 1815
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 12 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You say:

I really needed to search for my GGGF who was born approx 1815 according to census records in Festiniog

Could you give the refs to the censuses that you have him on, please? It will make it easier to identify him.

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline djtreacle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 12 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for responding so quickly, unfortunately Ancestry appears to be down for me tonight again! (is this a common problem lately do you know?) but as soon as I get in again I will post all the census returns for WO.
Kind regards
L
Wright; Clavering Essex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Not to confident about the non-c records - this seems to be what's available  :-\

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER/Ffestiniog/index.html

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales  for the following;

Capel Brynbowydd, Blaenau Ffestiniog, cofnodion (records) 1880-1980  "Capel Brynbowydd was an Independent chapel founded in 1880 ............."
    Capel Tabernacl (MC), Blaenau Ffestiniog, cofnodion (records) 1891-1958   "Capel Tabernacl Calvinistic Methodist Church, Blaenau Ffestiniog was established in 1864, and was still active in 1958"
    Tabernacl Chapel [CM], Blaenau Ffestiniog Account Book 1918 - 1926
    Capeli Hyfrydfa a Bethania, Blaenau Ffestiniog, cofnodion (records) [1872]-1978    "Capel Bethania and Capel Hyfrydfa, Manod, were Independent Churches in Blaenau Ffestiniog. Bethania was ..... established in 1818....... forced to establish several daughter chapels ....... Capel Hyfrydfa was ..... founded in 1879.
    Eglwys Bethesda, Blaenau Ffestiniog records 1839-1975   "Eglwys Bethesda, Bethesda Calvinistic Methodist Church, ........ first chapel was built in 1826........"
    Jerusalem, Blaenau Ffestiniog, cofnodion (records) 1872-1977  "Jerusalem Independent Church (also called Fourcrosses), Blaenau Ffestiniog was established in 1869........."
    Eglwys Engedi [CM], Ffestiniog, cofysgrifau (records) 1881-1948   ".......Agorwyd Eglwys Engedi ar 15 Mai 1881 a'i sefydlu yn eglwys ar 23 Mai 1881. Daeth 160 o aelodau Peniel yn aelodau yn Engedi......."
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline djtreacle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 12 00:00 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Brevitas
I managed to get this as Ancestry still down..."England and Wales Census, 1871," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5PT-6K4 : accessed 30 Dec 2012), Robert Owen in household of William Owen, Penmachno, Penmachno, Denbighshire, Wales; citing PRO RG 10/[piece], folio 13, p. 14; Llanrwst registration district, Yspytty subdistrict, ED 1, household 64, The National Archives, Kew, Surrey.

Many thanks to for the details of the chapel records in Festiniog area
L
Wright; Clavering Essex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 December 12 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I can't find a baptism for him but, on the basis of the census info, I've found a likely marriage for William Owen and Jane Davies in St Ffraid's Church, Llansanffraid Glan Conway, in 1855 (North Wales BMD). As it is a Church marriage, the record will be on FindMyPast, and will give information on his father.  Search in  Denbighshire/ Llansanffraid Glan Conway, 1855

Looking at the censuses, I think you are a bit out with his birth year - it's more likely to be circa 1820 than 1815.

This is the only likely one  in the 1851 census:

Hafod Ysbyttu/Ysbytty,  Festiniog
HO107/2512/240/28

Robert Owens, hd, 60, farmer of 105 acres, b. Festiniog
Jane, w, 55, b. Llanfrothen
Elizabeth, d, unm, 14, b. Festiniog
William, s, unm, 32, b. -do-

brevitas

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 December 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Found this on Familysearch, as confirmation:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KC54-KWM

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 December 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't see William and Jane in Denbs or Merionethshire in 1861 (maybe  on one of the  missing pieces)  but here's the Owen family without him in 1861:

Hafodsbyty, Festiniog
RG9/4324/27/25

Robert Owen, widr, 70, farmer of about 40 acres, b. Festiniog
Griffith Griffiths, s-in-l, 28, farmer, b. Maentwrog
Elisabeth Griffths, d, 24, b. Festiniog
Jane Ellin Griffiths, d (grd/d), 1, b. Festiniog
Margaret Williams, serv, 19, maid servant, b. Trawsfynydd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 December 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I've found the 1851 family in 1841, entered as Ownes!

Hofody Spyty, Festiniog
HO107/1427/3/28/12

Robert Ownes, 45, farmer
Jane, 45
William, 20
Margaret, 15
David, 14
Ellinor, 12
John, 10
Elizabeth,4

all born Merionethshire

This could be a possible marriage:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCGG-213

.....and adding this as an outside-possible bapt for Jane:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCGG-QJ4

brevitas