Author Topic: Trying to trace MacKearny/McKentry surname from Kilkee, Clare  (Read 1956 times)

Offline MattyNeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to trace MacKearny/McKentry surname from Kilkee, Clare
« on: Monday 31 December 12 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello - hoping someone can help me as I have come across a link in my tree to the town of Kilkee in County Clare - parish of Kilfieragh.

My 2nd great grandfather, George May of Uckfield, married Margaret MacKerney pre-1861 (cannot find marriage certificate) and the 1861 census lists Margaret May born in Kilkee, Clare, Ireland. Living with them in Uckfield is Ellen MacKerney from Kilkee, Clare who is listed as "wife's sister".

The 1871 census no longer lists Ellen as living with George and Margaret, but does list Catherine McKentry (wife's mother listed) from Kilkee, Ireland.

I'm not sure what the correct surname is as there is definitely a transcription error there, but can anyone point me in a direction as to where to look next to see what the correct surname is and see if there were other siblings and where they went etc.

I can only assume Catherine had been widowed, and went to live with her daughter in England.

Any help would be great as I am stuck now.
Sussex - Heasman/Hesman, Hazleden, Dibley, Elliott, Lisher, Steele, Cruse, Lade, Duffield, Beacon/Bacon, May, Wakeford, Holloway, Batchelor, Howick, Miles, Peters, Still, Launder
Lincolnshire - Rhoades, Lee
Dorset - Stokes, Ridout, Senior, Hallet
Wiltshire - Hacker, Kilmister, Couzens
County Clare - McInerney
London - Holloway

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace MacKearny/McKentry surname from Kilkee, Clare
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
The civil parish for Kilkee town is Kilfearagh, but if your Margaret was RC then the name of the parish was also Kilkee. This covered the town and townlands in two civil parishes - Kilfearagh and Killard.

Unfortunately according to the NLI Index, Ryans etc filmed records for this parish only go back to about 1869. It's unclear from other source lists if any earlier records are available.  One site mentions baptisms going back to 1836 - for 'commissioned research only'.

Very few Co. Clare parish records are online at the moment, but a good source of other records, e.g. Tithes etc, is the Clare Library website. See the Clare Resources topic at the top of this board.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 December 12 14:17 GMT (UK) »
After a quick look at the 1901 census for Co Clare I cannot see any listings for those surnames.

However, I can see 59 entries with the surname 'McInerney' around Kilkee/Kilfearagh. Perhaps that is the surname you are looking for and the other two are British 'translations'?

Regards,

Mark.

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
What age is Ellen in the 1861 census?

I can see a Ellen McInerney aged 80 in the 1901 census for Co Clare. She is in Kilkee ( Albert Road & Dough) listed as Head of family with son James, aged 60 and G/son James aged 10.

Having said that, if she married she would not be McInerney........unless she married a cousin or someone of the same surname.

Perhaps your family, perhaps a red herring.

Offline MattyNeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 13 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane and Mark for your replies and tips that I'll follow up. I think you are right, and the surname is McInerney.

As for Ellen, if it lists her as 80 in 1901 that can't be the same one. The 1861 census has her as aged 20, so she'd be 60 in 1901.
Sussex - Heasman/Hesman, Hazleden, Dibley, Elliott, Lisher, Steele, Cruse, Lade, Duffield, Beacon/Bacon, May, Wakeford, Holloway, Batchelor, Howick, Miles, Peters, Still, Launder
Lincolnshire - Rhoades, Lee
Dorset - Stokes, Ridout, Senior, Hallet
Wiltshire - Hacker, Kilmister, Couzens
County Clare - McInerney
London - Holloway

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 13 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Matty,

LDS microfilm no 926100 covers parochial registers for Kilkee 1869-1880.

I have just ordered a couple of film for Kilmanaheen and Kilrush but not for Kilkee. It might be worth seeing who was born/married in the area of Kilkee during that time with the surname of McInerney.

Mark.