Author Topic: Hermand Old Rows / Hermand New Rows Cottages West Calder - COMPLETED  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hermand Old Rows / Hermand New Rows Cottages West Calder - COMPLETED
« on: Monday 31 December 12 17:52 GMT (UK) »
During my searching i have found through the census records that many of my ancestors lived in the Hermand Rows cottages. Sadly these cottages were demolished approx 1920s. Hermand Old Rows are thought to have been constructed to serve the Hermand Shale Oil Works. of Thomas and James Thornton. The 1895 OS map shows a row of ten homes that seem to comprise a single room with a scullery. Two larger building are joined to the row.
The Hermand Shale Oil Works had housing at Hermand Old (West) Rows, and the Hermand Oil Works was served by housing at Hermand New Rows
Does anybody know if any photos survive of these cottages i have searched the internet but to no avail.

Best Regards

John

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hermand Old Rows / Hermand New Rows Cottages West Calder
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Try this page

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/tourism/LocalHistory/

It has info about local history and it also has a link to flickr photos of West Lothian, this doesn't have a photo of what your looking for but it does have some old photos of West calder that might interest you including one of Hermand House.  You will also find the phone number and email address of the archives on the website, the people there are very helpful and I'm sure they'll be happy to check for you.  Do let me know how you get on  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hermand Old Rows / Hermand New Rows Cottages West Calder
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Likely you have seen this link, but adding as background www.scottishshale.co.uk/GazVillages/HermandNewVillage.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hermand Old Rows / Hermand New Rows Cottages West Calder - COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help this thread is now completed