Author Topic: Morrison: Hugh + Mary, marriage c1795, Hose?  (Read 528 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Morrison: Hugh + Mary, marriage c1795, Hose?
« on: Monday 31 December 12 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I had posted this request in Nottinghamshire a little while ago
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,628240.0.html
but there was no response and I think it may be more likely that the marriage was in Leicestershire.
I don't know where it would have been, except likely close to the Nottinghamshire line and possibly in Hose.

Hugh Morrison and wife Mary lived in Hose, Leicestershire.
Mary was born in the late 1770s in Colston Bassett, Notts (less than 5 miles NNWish of Hose), per censuses.
Mary and Hugh's oldest known child was baptised in Leicestershire in 1797.

All baptisms of children 1797-1818 show mother's name Mary.
The surname is sometimes spelled MORISON for the baptisms shown at FamilySearch.
For the two earliest births the father is Henry (for the first) and Humphrey (for the second), but I am sure they are the same couple (the son of "Henry" is with Hugh and Mary in a census).
But a marriage might be under one of those names, i.e. Hugh, Humphrey or Henry Morrison + Mary.

FS shows these baptisms for Marys in Colston Bassett during the right period, in case it helps:
Burrows 1776, Spencer 1777, Stains 1777, Smith 1778.
(I get vibes for Burrows. But odds are I'll have another Smith. ;) )

Hugh Morrison will likely be ever a mystery: he was born in "Ireland".
Knowing who Mary was, at least, would give me a little more to tell my mum about her roots in that branch of her family (Hugh and Mary were her grx4 grandparents).

I'm hoping parish records that would show the marriage may be accessible to some here.
Many thanks to anyone who has a look -- and happy new year to all from Canada!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison: Hugh + Mary, marriage c1795, Hose?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to you, www.freereg.org.uk has marriages for Leicestershire including Hose and there doesn't seem to be any for Hugh (etc) Morrison, I searched with surname variant and from 1800 +/- 10 years. Same in Nottinghamshire. The 4 Mary's baptisms in Colston Basset are all on freereg but with no extra information other than parents names. However one of the 4 Mary's ( Spencer) appears to have married a Samuel Richmond in 1798 in Colston Basset so she might be ruled out.

Sorry I haven't been able to help further

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison: Hugh + Mary, marriage c1795, Hose?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying! I had tried the same things at freereg -- always good to have confirmation that one hasn't just stupidly overlooked something. ;)

Another possibility is that Mary's father was military and she met and married Hugh in Ireland ...

Thanks for that info on the Spencer Mary. I think I'll puddle about with the others, look for siblings, see where they might have ended up ...
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?