Author Topic: Any useful Herefordshire databases ?  (Read 7789 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Any useful Herefordshire databases ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 January 13 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Herefordshire is one of my biggest counties - it is quite well represented on familysearch

Not online but the Herefordshire Marriage index is purchasable from there Herefordshire FHS or Genfair

The online wills are good, though you have to be lucky
THere are some good newspapers in the British Newspaper Archive, discovered my grt grt grandfather was convicted once and his brother twice (and brother transported to OZ) for stealing food. Obviously dirt poor
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 January 13 00:07 GMT (UK) »
How interesting stonechat - the discoveries we make can be so confronting sometimes!

I have been using familysearch but I mainly use it on my iPad and it is a painful site to use. It's slow and it does very weird things. ???  I must try it on the desktop and see if it performs any better.

Getting those marriage records from the FHS may be my only option. I have a question though! Do some of these organisations not allow their county records to go online? Are they just jealously guarding them so that people have to pay to access them or is it a matter that they have simply not been transcribed yet by one of the large genealogical organisations like FindMyPast or Ancestry.co.uk?

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 January 13 07:17 GMT (UK) »
I have a question though! Do some of these organisations not allow their county records to go online? Are they just jealously guarding them so that people have to pay to access them or is it a matter that they have simply not been transcribed yet by one of the large genealogical organisations like FindMyPast or Ancestry.co.uk?
Basically the situation varies from county to county.What the record offices allow - the amount of coverage on familysearch- how active the fhs is and how much they have index. MOre records are online all the time.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com