Author Topic: Hermiston burials  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Hermiston burials
« on: Thursday 03 January 13 14:00 GMT (UK) »
This is the record for the death of my 4xG grandfather Peter Wardlaw in 1843. I know from an Edinburgh directory that he was the postmaster in Hermiston earlier this year and also from the 1841 census he is the postmaster for Hermiston village. I am wondering where he was likely to have been buried as I can't seem to find a church for Hermiston. Is there one ? was there ever one ?

He was born in Ratho as was his wife Agnes Wallace. She died a year later in Broughton St. Edinburgh which I believe was in St. Cuthberts parish.When they married he was living in Currie.

He is one of my favourite ancestors as we share a birthday, so anyone with some local knowledge know where he could have been planted.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hermiston burials
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 13 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hermiston village was in Currie Parish. So the churchyard there would be a place to start.

http://maps.nls.uk/os/view/?sid=74400788#sid=74400788&zoom=5&lat=4888&lon=5378.25519&layers=BT

If there were family connections in Ratho, the parish churchard there would be another possibility. The council cemetery in Ratho wasn't started until about 1900, so it can be ruled out.

There is also a small churchyard at St Mary's Scottish Episcopal Church, outside Ratho, just inside the gateway of Dalmahoy (golf course, country club & hotel).

ADP

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi ADP, although I was aware Hermiston was in Currie parish, that map is very useful in giving me distances and location of the places in the area, thank you. I have checked Ratho churchyard on foot last summer, alas not a single family headstone as far as I could see, though I wasn't expecting any. He was born in Ratho but most of his siblings before him were born in Kirknewton and he was in Currie by his 1791 marriage. He was definately in Hermiston by 1805 when his son my 3xG grandfather George was born, so had lived there a long time. Given that he had been resident at least 40 years I wondered where the nearest place of burial would be. From your map, Currie down the road looks quite likely.

Thanks for your help.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 July 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Seoras,

It is some time since you posted so I hope you pick up this message. I checked Kirknewton burial records and found a James Wardlaw of Pathead, Kirknewton who died 20/04/1904. In the same lair is a Francis Nicol and four members of the Gregory family. Can post the info if it is of interest.

Mags

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 July 13 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Mags, I don't know of any Gregory connections but do have Nicol. Also a Wardlaw from Kirknewton is very likely to be related somewhere. I will PM you my email and thank you.

George.