Author Topic: Daniel HURLEY married 13/2/1881 County Cork  (Read 10187 times)

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel HURLEY married 13/2/1881 County Cork
« on: Friday 04 January 13 18:30 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather John (Sean) J. HURLEY was born 24th April 1882 in Lashadoo, District Durrus, County Cork. He was the first son of Daniel HURLEY, who had married on 13th February 1881 (where ?) Margaret MAHONEY (b. 19/12/1842; d. 1926; first married to Timothy DILLON [died before 1881] on 28/02/1865 from who she had 4 children).

John HURLEY joined the British Navy and was sent to China where he stayed until c. 1915. Back in Ireland, he served as an Intelligence Officer for the IRA. He was a close friend of Gen Michael. In 1924, he produced the film" Land of her Father's". Little more is known about his professional life. He died in 1961.

My great-grandfather Daniel HURLEY, a farmer in County Cork, left Ireland for the USA when his two sons (John b. 1882, and Jimmy, younger) were very young and was never heard about since.

The only date I have concerning Daniel HURLEY is his date of marriage (13/2/1881). Though I suspect he was born somewhere in Co Cork, and possibly in the Bantry or Skibbereen area, I have no more information. The research I made on Internet concerning the local parish registers were of no help.

I can’t personally make any research in archives, because I live in France. So any information about Daniel HURLEY (probably born 1840-1860; died after 1900) would be welcome, and I would greatly thank anyone who could help me!

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel HURLEY married 13/2/1881 County Cork
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Hurley and Margaret Mahoney/Dillon married in Durrus (Muintervara)
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/7bb7f50038929

Do you have the civil marriage cert? There are Hurleys dispersed all over in west Cork so you would need his father's name from the civil cert to have any chance of finding the right Daniel Hurley in baptism records. Do you have him on records in the US - census, immigration etc?

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 13 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. So we now at least know Daniel married in Durrus! The only hope to get a little more information is when my brother will at last put a hand on the documents left in my aunt Maureen's flat in Dublin. The succession (she was my father's last sister and died in June 2011) hasn't been totally settled yet, and my brother lives... in Spain. All that makes things complicated.

Going through various genealogy websites, I indeed noticed there were Hurleys all around County Cork, and especially in the Durrus area with several Johns and Daniels but the dates did not match. My great-grandfather Daniel probably left for the USA c. 1890-95, and was never heard of since. His wife Margaret went to look for him, and stayed in the UAS several years, but came back with no more information.

It looks the available Durrus parish certs cover only a period from 1800 to 1846. Daniel may have been younger.

Thanks again

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 13 08:58 GMT (UK) »
This says that the Irish Genealogy site has Durrus baptisms for 1820-1881 and marriages for 1819-1881 http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/about/Cork%20&%20Ross%20(RC).pdf.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 January 13 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Just checked the civil registration index for the marriage of Daniel Hurley and Margaret Dillon- this looks a likely match Daniel Hurley Bantry registration district Jan Mar 1881 Volume 5 page 31 and there is a match for Margaret Dillon. To get the cert you can download an application form from www.groireland.ie
asking for a photocopy of the entry gives the same information as a cert and costs less.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 January 13 13:50 GMT (UK) »
This says that the Irish Genealogy site has Durrus baptisms for 1820-1881 and marriages for 1819-1881 http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/about/Cork%20&%20Ross%20(RC).pdf.

Thanks. This what I get when I enter Daniel Hurley Durrus:
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?namefm=Daniel&namel=Hurley&location=Durrus&dd=&mm=&yy=&submit=Search
Showing there is apparently no record for Hurleys in Durrus...

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 January 13 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Just checked the civil registration index for the marriage of Daniel Hurley and Margaret Dillon- this looks a likely match Daniel Hurley Bantry registration district Jan Mar 1881 Volume 5 page 31 and there is a match for Margaret Dillon. To get the cert you can download an application form from www.groireland.ie
asking for a photocopy of the entry gives the same information as a cert and costs less.
annclare

Thanks! I loaded the form, and will make the application through a reliable friend living in Ireland so she can pay by cheque (I'm a French citizen and resident). I checked "Daniel Hurley Bantry" on Irishgenealogy.ie, and got a load of baptsim records that could match. Maybe it'll take a little time...

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 January 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Instead of searching for Durrus you need to put Muintervara in the 'location' field as this is the name of the parish on this website.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 January 13 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I can't find anything for the children of Daniel Hurley and Margaret Dillon in Muinterveara parish . Do you have names of other siblings as it might help to give some leads.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary