Author Topic: Gypsy/Travellers Nottinghamshire  (Read 2782 times)

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gypsy/Travellers Nottinghamshire
« on: Friday 04 January 13 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not too good at working this site...  But have been to the archives today and want to share the information I have found.

Baps.

Stanton-on the-Wolds
March 18th 1867
George Oxby SMITH
parents John & Maria SMITH
abode Stanton
Occ - Gypsies

Kimberley Notts
November 17th 1873
Kezia SMITH
abode Kimberley
Occ - Hawker

Arnold Notts
Mary Ann SMITH
6th May 1870
abode Arnold
Occ - Horse Dealer

Hope this helps someone...
Kaziah

Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline David Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsy/Travellers Nottinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi kaziah
Not too sure how this works! i have seen posts about Smiths from Harby Leicestershire. My Grandmother's mother Eleanor Smith (possible maiden name Bury) is listed on the 1911 Census, as being born in Harby around 1856. My Grandmother Beatrice was born in Whitwick Leicestershire around 1881. Her father was William Smith who I believe was born in Northampton between 1845 and 1855.
Does this connect with any information you have?
Thanks

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:02 BST (UK) »
HI David. I will text kaziah and tell her she has a post from you. I know she has been poorly so probably not aware you have posted.
I also have an ancestor born in Harby. He was born there in 1810 and his name was Robert Turville.Did you know that Harby has an 1831 census.
Tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi David, - and thanks Tracey for letting me know this was posted, not been too good this past week or so missed it...

The area's you mention David are similar to where my Gypsy folk were travelling - but I don't recognise the names with those dates...

Do you have any other information that could help at all?
kazi

Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline David Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 19:57 BST (UK) »
Kaziah
Sorry for delay, this is third attempt at replying - laptop ate the other two.
Also my first post was not totally correct.

So!!! My grandmother was Beatrice Smith born 1880/81 in Whitwick Leicestershire. She married my grandfather Samuel Spencer (Herrington) in 1908 at St Thomas' Church, Chesterfield. The 1911 Census shows them living at Shaws Row, Brampton along with my aunt Anne [1909] and uncle Thomas [1910] and Beatrice's mother listed as Eleanor age 54 born in Harby, Leicestershire.
I was always told that Beatrice's parents were Selina and Billy Smith so when i was checking dates to reply to your post I tried another search for Selina Smith born in Harby. This is what I found:-

Selina Smith Born 1856 Harby; Father: Levi, Born 1814 - Mother: Sophia Senna, Born 1811
Siblings - Louisa 1838, Amos 1838-1865, Orthorn (Hawthorn) 1841-1916, Arthur 1846, Ann 1846, Beatta 1847, Henrietta 1853, Robert 1854.

In 1871 Census Leicestershire Dist 8, Leesthorpe and Pickwell - Levi, Sophia and Selina were living in a tent and possibly travelling with them as on same page were James Booth 46 Basketmaker, James Booth 6 [son], Thomas Booth 2 [son] and Caroline Booth 40 [boarder].

Levi's parents as far as I can tell are Amos Hammi Smith and Hannah and his brothers Josiah 1815 and Naphtali 1820-1865.

As for Beatrice's father Billy, I think this is Byley Smith 1849-1907, Father - Loraina Smith 1825-1889 from Guilsborough, Northants, Mother - Sophia Loveridge 1821-1867 from Kingham, Oxfordshire.

This is about all I have at the moment, but I know there are links to Tansley in Derbyshire early 20th Century, and Beatrice lived in Gorsey Bank, Wirksworth Derbyshire from the early twentys until the sixtys when she moved in with her daughter in Mansfield, Notts. Hope this matches up with something you know.

Thanks
David

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Fab...  I think this could be our family....  I will sit down tomorrow and have a good study, but I have a feeling Selina Smith bn1856 maybe someone I have been trying to trace for years....
Plus linking back to Sophia Loverage bn1821 could also link you with Tracey (peggysmum). I'll check it all in the morning... 
I will send you a personal message with my email address - I find this site hard to use :/
Bye for now
Kazi