Author Topic: Toronto Star Lookup please  (Read 1526 times)

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Toronto Star Lookup please
« on: Friday 04 January 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   If anyone with access to the Toronto Star website could look for a couple for me I would really appreciate it. Shigeru and Peggy [Ellen] Terui married in 1926 in Toronto, but I completely lose them after that. I'm looking for obituaries or any other information on this couple after 1926, as there is no sign of them on other records after this time that I can find.
Thanks in anticipation
Erin  :)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Star Lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 13 22:47 GMT (UK) »
You probably have this but in case it helps for searching sometime in future:
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/tor1926p5.htm
Shigeru Terui was 28 (c1898), Peggy Keech was 35 (c1891) and widowed, parents named Riseborough.

I might suggest you contact the only Terui in the Canadian phone book. ;)
http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=terui&where=&x=0&y=0
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I searched for Terui, and the only "hits" were for words that looked a bit like Terui, but were actually Terri, or some such thing.  I checked for Shigeru, but the only ones I found had other last names. 

So, a word search doesn't give any positive results.  The Star site is a fantastic resource, but its word search facility isn't perfect.  If you do manage to find death dates from other sources, then you can check the Star site by date... you might find an obit that the word search missed. 

http://pagesofthepast.ca/

RK

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks to your both for your replies, and apologies in my lateness in responding.
JaneyCanuck - Thanks, I had spotted this transcription of the marriage (badly transcribed on ancestry) I may look into contacting the Terui in Canada today, not sure if they had children, but might be worth a try.
RK - thanks for the lookup. It's a shame nothing came up as it's been useful in the past for me. 20th century Canadian genealogy is so difficult because of the sporadic records and privacy laws. very frustrating, but I'll persist!
Thanks again to both of you
Erin  :)

Offline danmfitton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, funny to see someone else searching these two. Peggy riseborough is my great grandmother who has a long and interesting back story, she abandoned my grandmother and moved to Canada after being widowed at the end of ww1. It took me a lot of tracking down to find her (her real name being Ellen) we have stories from my grandma relating to Peggy's visiting England just before her Marriage  to terui (possibly spelled terni). The furthest I got was that she died in Toronto of tb. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact date but I did find it on line- possibly under the name Ellen riseborough. As far as shigeru goes I also ran into a brick wall. Let me know if you are interested and I'll dig out all the rest of the details for you. All the best Dan

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
Not related, but have found Peggy Riseborough as a patient in the Toronto TB Hospital known as the Weston Sanitarium in the 1949 Voters' List.  Current online death records in Ontario only go up to 1928.

Her 1926 marriage as Peggy Keech gives husband's name as Shigeru Terui with his signature being quite clear.  The 1931 census will be released on June 1st, so you may get some idea of whether she was still together to him at the time.

Offline danmfitton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 May 23 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, her first husband was Joseph Daniel keech, whom we have a photo of just before he died in paschendale, as well as lots of letters from the trenches. Her only daughter, Marguerite was my grandma.