Author Topic: Separate registers for Baptists?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Separate registers for Baptists?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 January 13 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I found this link

http://www.landmarkbaptist.org/documents/History_of_the_Baptists_in_Scottland_George_Yuille.pdf

which also mentions Lewis Anderson as a Baptist and includes the following quote:

Resigning his charge, Mr. Stewart left for Edinburgh, where he was baptised. In his absence Mr. M’Kenzie, a. Baptist minister, visited Elgin and administered baptism to those who held to the New
Testament mode. In a few weeks Mr. Stewart returned for his family and baptised several others. These formed themselves into a Church of about 30 members in 1808. For many years the Church continued without any settled pastor. Between 1825-1828 there were occasional supplies. In 1828 three Baptists — Lewis Anderson, Alexander Urquhart and John Botchen — purchased a ball seated for two hundred.

So there were baptists in Elgin. I now also remember having come across a Baptist Magazine which had a small obituary for Lewis Anderson but, as I mention in another thread, I really really hate myself for having lost it and not being able to find it again.

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 January 13 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Very good; I am now convinced that there was a Baptist congregation at least. It seems to have been a very small congregation without a fixed 'abode', which could explain the lack of mention in the sources I looked at.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline firefly74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 January 13 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I had a look in Russell's Morayshire Register from 1847 - there is a Baptist Church listed under Elgin (p94) as follows:

Baptist Church
Minister:The Rev William Tulloch
Deacons: Alex. Urquhart, builder, Lewis Anderson, merchant. Peter Macdonald, bookseller. Thomas Nicol, merchant.

The directory is available online from the National Library of Scotland, as are 1850 and 1844 and Black's register from 1863 (I haven't checked them for the Baptist church).

http://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Directories.+-+Morayshire%22

Cheers
Helen