Author Topic: Archibald Scott  (Read 7429 times)

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald Scott
« on: Sunday 06 January 13 02:42 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for details on Archibald Scott 22 January 1681–1683 to 1768. He died in Hopsrigg, Dalgarnock, Dumfries, Scotland.

He was married to Margaret Cransten/Cranston/Cranstoun 1697-30 June 1758. She died in Enzieholm, Eskdalemuir, Dumfries.

They had a son James Scott 1729-1764 and his son was Captain James Scott 1764-1805.

I have looked under different variations of the name. Following on from family naming traditions I also tried James and/or Walter Archibald Scott to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Scott: Enzieholme, Eskadalemuir, Dumfries; Meadows, South Australia, Victoria
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria
Kearnan: Meath, Ireland
Berlund: Angermanland, Sweden
Harriott:  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland; Bungendore, NSW
McFadzen: Wigtownshire; Bungendore, NSW

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Scott
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Although nothing seems to appear on Scotland's People, I did find this on family search.

Archbald Scot, baptism 6 May 1683
LANGHOLM, DUMFRIES, SCOTLAND
father's name   John Scot

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 13 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Thanks heaps for the info. I did try Scotland People plus a few other sites. I will follow it up and see where it leads me  :)
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 13 22:01 GMT (UK) »
The dates you provide suggest that you have the inscriptions from the three graves at Ewes nos. 162, 163 and 164.  I can provide more information about Mary Beattie who married Captain James Scott - if you wish.  You show Hopsrigg as being in Dalgarnoch.  Hopsrigg is/was in the parish of Westerkirk and in the village of Bentpath close to the parish church.

Reiver

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

Thanks heaps. I will change the Dalgarnoch details.

I have Mary Beatties details up to her grandparents William Beattie (no spouse details), William Blake and Isabella Biggar. Anything more would be great.

I also have the details on her husband Captain James Scott.

Briellen

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 January 13 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Briellen
I have something slightly diffferent from you.   Mary Beattie's (= James Scott) parents were William Beattie and Ann Scott.  Somewhere or other I have info. on Ann Scott's family.  However William's parents I have as Walter Beattie and Marion Black (possibly Blake).   I too have her parents as William Blake and Isabella Biggar.

I do not have any parents for Walter Beattie.   I have a theory after many years thinking about it that he was the 4th son of William Beattie (of Burn) and Grizzel Porteous.  But .  .  .  .

Reiver

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 January 13 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks heaps. I will change the Dalgarnoch details.
Briellen
Don't be too ready to change your Dalgarnoc reference.
DGFHS surveyed Dalgarnoc in recent years and this MI provides a link with your Scott family and Closeburn Parish (formerly Dalgarnoc).
This MI is from a gravestone in Dalgarnoc graveyard in Closeburn Parish, Dumfriesshire
In Memory of
Jannet SCOTT, daughter of Archibald SCOTT and Margaret CRANSTON of Hopsrig, who died in Novr 1782 aged 54 years
Also Thomas HARKNESS, her husband, son of the late William HARKNESS and Cathrine FERGUSON, who died at Mitchellslacks 26th May 1797 aged 80 years
Also to the Memory of John HARKNESS, son of the above Thomas HARKNESS, who died at Mitchellslacks 20th March 1852 in the 87th year of his age
Also in Memory of Janet HARKNESS, spouse of the said John HARKNESS, who died on the 7th Septr 1859 in the 74 year of her age.

Cheers
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 January 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Point taken Sy.

However Hopsrigg is in Westerkirk Parish. But it does mean apparently that both Closeburn and Westerkirk parishes are of particular interest.

Reiver

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 13 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

Yes, I have Mary Beattie's parents as William Beattie and Ann Scott; William's parents as Walter Beattie and Marion Black. Walter I have his father as William (no spouse details). Marion Blake's (Black) parents I have as William Blake and Isabella Biggar. It stops there as I continued on with the Scott's line. 

Hi Sy,

Thanks heaps for those details. It helped to fill some gaps. With Archibald Scott - I am beginning to wonder if it is a middle name he used as it is very left field of the traditional James, John and Walter names :)

Briellen