Author Topic: Archibald Scott  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Scott
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
.... - I am beginning to wonder if it is a middle name he used as it is very left field of the traditional James, John and Walter names :)
Briellen
The forename Archibald may not be as uncommon as you think.
Here are a few MIs listing  Archibald SCOTTs in the general area identified by Reiver.

In Memory of  William SCOTT in who died on his passage from Jamaica to New York in America September 15th 1801 aged 38 years 
Also Archibald SCOTT, his son, who died 12th July 1805 aged 38 years
In Memory of  William SCOTT, late of Penton Mill, who died at Newcastleton November 16th 1849 aged 69 years 
Also Margaret GOODFELLOW, his spouse, who died January 8th 1857 aged 60 years 
And Archibald, their son, who died at Lockport, County of Niagra, State of New York, North America, May 30th 1840 aged 21 years 
Also Elizabeth, his daughter, who died January 23rd 1841 aged 20 years 
Also William, his son, who died in infancy

Erected in Memory of  Archibald SCOTT, tenant in Shillingmoss, who died March 17th 1817 aged 71 years 
Also Adam SCOTT, his son, tenant in Shillingmoss, born 18th July 17[-]3, died 16th April 1834 
Also Jane NIXON, spouse to above Archibald SCOTT, who died 12th August 1845 aged 82 years 
Also Nelly SCOTT, their daughter, who died July 13th 1802 aged 14 months

Thomas SCOTT, son to Archibald SCOTT in Hoddom Mains, who died 11th August 1801 aged 25 years

Sacred to the Memory of  Archibald SCOTT, Merchant in Langholm, who died the 7 of May 1807 aged 77 years 
Sybella GRAHAM his spouse, who died the 12 of January 1814 aged 58 years 
Margaret SCOTT his daughter, who died the 17 of February 1791 aged 2 years 
Archibald SCOTT his son, who died the 12 of August 1818 aged 26 years
Sacred to the Memory of  Mary, daughter of George SCOTT, Merchant in Langholm, she died May 17th 1830 aged 18
months  Jane his daughter, died July 20th 1835 aged 2 years 
A second Mary, his daughter, died August 11th 1835 aged 4½ years 
John his son, died February 5th 1837 aged 15 months 
Jane MURRAY his spouse, she died 19th January 1842 aged 41 years 
George his son, died 25th July 1852 aged 27 years 
Also of the said George SCOTT, who died the 26th day of January 1874 aged 79 years 
Mary Jane his daughter, died 11th of February 1891 aged 52 years 
Sybella Graham SCOTT his daughter, died 1st January 1908 aged 81 years, last member of the family

In Memory of  Louisa Margaret Sarah SCOT, daughter of Archibald SCOT, Writer in Langholm,
and Louisa Margaret Johnstone LINDSAY his spouse  Who died 25th February 1823 aged eleven months

In Memory of  Robert, son of Thomas SCOTT, who died in Langholm August 9th 1854 aged 2 years 
Also the said Thomas SCOTT, who died 28th January 1871 aged 59 years 
Also Mary his daughter, who died 27th August 1877 aged 28 years 
Also Mary LITTLE his wife, who died October 1895 aged 75 years 
Also Andrew SCOTT, Skinner, their son, who died at Greenock 1904 aged 64 years 
In Memory of  John SCOTT, Carrier from Manchester to Glasgow, who died January 18th 1806 aged 48 years 
Also of Archibald SCOTT his brother, who died at Kingmoor in Cumberland, June 21st 1809 aged 60 years
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnner,

Wow, thanks for all that info. It's greatly appreciated. I'll go and check it all out :)

Briellen
Scott: Enzieholme, Eskadalemuir, Dumfries; Meadows, South Australia, Victoria
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria
Kearnan: Meath, Ireland
Berlund: Angermanland, Sweden
Harriott:  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland; Bungendore, NSW
McFadzen: Wigtownshire; Bungendore, NSW

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 January 13 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Johnner for all of these Archibald Scotts and other details - and such a variety too! Unfortunately none of them fit in with the family I am after -  But, I will keep plugging until I find something :) 
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 January 13 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Briellen
May I return to the parents - and beyond - of William Beattie (= Ann Scott).  Their 'details' are available from the headstone in Watcarrick Burial Ground, Eskdalemui as are details about William's parents, Walter and Marion Black.
However the names of Marion's parents I have only from a biography written about another Eskdalemuir family but which included their names ie.  William and Isabella Biggar.  No dates and I haven't attempted any specific research on this.   Do you have any other details?

Regards
Reiver

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 January 13 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

What kind of info are you after? I don't have any details in my tree (program) of William Blake and Isabella Biggar, just their names.  I only went so far with them as I was focusing mostly on the direct line of the Scotts.  I do have down the names of Walter and Marion plus their 8 children (tho not all their birth dates). That's not to say I don't have anything on William and Isabella. I will need to go through my notes and see what I have for you. I have also noted that if you put in Beggar (as a variation) more info does come up on ancestry, though I haven't followed it up at this stage.

Give me a day to go through my notes (miles of it) then I will get back to you on it.

Briellen  :)