Author Topic: Stanhope Family in Cavan, 1800's  (Read 3136 times)

Offline RMSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Stanhope Family in Cavan, 1800's
« on: Wednesday 07 July 04 18:40 BST (UK) »
There were three family groups of Stanhopes in County Cavan in the 1800s.  There was a George (pensioner and carpenter) m. to a Maddy/Matilda/Mary who had five children in the 1820's-30's.  There was a Robert who lived in Glassdrummon b. 1824, and my own gg-grandfather George.  He was married to a Rebecca Nesbitt from Glassdrummon in the Church of Ireland, Shercock, in July, 1859.  There was also a Thomas married to a Mary May in 1858 also in Shercock.  Robert, Thomas, and George had a father named George who is described as a "pensioner."  I think that it could be the George who's mentioned first above.  Rumour is that the family came from England.  Anyone else with any sort of a Stanhope connection in Ireland?  There weren't many of them.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Stanhope Family in Cavan, 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 December 04 18:36 GMT (UK) »
HI

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RMSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Stanhope Family in Cavan, 1800's
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 December 04 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your interest.  :)  The Stanhope couple that I descend from are George and Rebecca, the couple who were married in the Church of Ireland, Shercock, in 1859.  They had five children:  Mary Jane (my great-great grandmother, baptized in 1960), John Thomas, George, Martha Rebecca, and James.  James was the youngest, born in 1873.  While James was still an infant, this family emigrated from County Cavan to Halifax, Nova Scotia.  They settled in the South End of Halifax.  James, his wife Mary Allison, and their three children moved to the USA in 1911 and settled in Massechusetts.  I've confirmed from newspaper reports that they settled in Pittsfield.  George and John Thomas remained in Halifax.  Martha Rebecca married George Grant of Halifax.  Mary Jane married my grandfather, Archibald McLean, from Boularderie, Nova Scotia.  She later remarried a couple of times and died in Halifax.

My main interest is in finding out for sure who my great-great-grandfather Stanhope was.  If I could link the three family groups who lived in Cavan, that would solve my problem.  Then I could probably link to a family in England.  I've pretty much "mined" the Genealogy Resource Centre in Cavan for all their Stanhope records.  I live in Canada, so visiting PRONI in the foreseeable future is out of the question.