Author Topic: Query re pages already visited  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Query re pages already visited
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I think the problem with Unread Posts mentioned on that other thread is to do with number of unread posts showing up not read ones re-appearing.

Maybe that Victor hasn't clicked on the thread to read them. It's not fully clear if this is the case.

Too many assumptions about what members do, maybe.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 19:40 GMT (UK) »
My comment was mainly to do about the content of the other topic and I am merely going by what Victor has said here and elsewhere.
I haven't made any assumptions but it seems you might have  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 19:42 GMT (UK) »
My comment was mainly to do about the content of the other topic and I am merely going by what Victor has said here and elsewhere.
I haven't made any assumptions but it seems you might have  :-\

This is what Victor said:

Hi Brevitas,
Thanx for your reply. It seems I am not the only one experiencing this problem! Let's hope somebody sorts it out soon as it is a pain trawling over previously read posts!
Victor
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Maybe its just me, but . . . . I'm not getting problems with Unread posts?

If I click on Unread, its oly threads I haven't read that show up?
Unless a new post has been added, of course, but then it always did that!
The only thing different id the yellow flag - and Trystan & co are looking into that.

No KG, it's not just you.  Now I've worked out the new placings etc. I only get ones I haven't read.
But from someone's comment on another post, I think some people think that they just have to look at the list of unread replies to their posts / unread posts, to make them go away, when that has not been the case previously (at least in the 18 months I've been contributing) and isn't now.
You have to actually open the subject to make it disappear off the list - whether or not you read it is up to you.   :P  :P  :P

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I think this is a topic  being monitored on  "Common Room"  titled "Unread Threads"

(sorry have not yet mastered transfering the URL !) :)

Kim

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 09:40 GMT (UK) »

You have to actually open the subject to make it disappear off the list - whether or not you read it is up to you.   :P  :P  :P

Dawn M

Not quite, Dawn. I think there seems to be a confusion between the Unreads and the Replies.   With  Unreads since last visit  the list  does change whether you've read them or not. I'm not sure if Victor had opened the postings or had just looked at the list but, in either case, some of the earliest threads should have disappeared from the list. It's the Replies  that remain on the list  for as long as you don't open them. I've got some Replies in my listing that go back for quite a while ;D   If Victor's referring to this list and has opened them but they keep being listed, even if there are no more replies, then there must be a bug somewhere.

I think Japeflakes's problem was a different one -  in which he's looked at a photo thread and can't get back to it as he's 'read' it but not yet posted and can't remember which one it is.

brevitas

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Brevitas, right on all counts, I'd say.
But some people seem to be confusing the two buttons 'Unread' and 'Replies'

Empathise with Japeflakes, not remembering which thread he was on.
I have found that difficult at times too.  I haven't tried 'Search' since the reorganisation, but previously one had to know who was the poster and a word in the title of the post, or you got nowhere.   And remembering who was the OP is not always easy !!!   I hope that has been changed in the new regime.   ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 January 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Dawn, I've just done a search for 'empathise' and 'reorganisation' leaving username blank, for the last 0-2 days.

Your last post came up ;D

From memory, the old system didn't require a username either, but I didn't use it many times so could be wrong :-\

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 January 13 06:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that the functionality of the Search has changed at all?!

Previously, as now, you could search all users by leaving the asterisk in the "By user" box.
And you had to enter something in the "Search for" box.

When I want to search for posts by a particular user, one way is to enter the user name, and simply search for a single letter? "a" for example.

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)