Author Topic: McCulloch Family From Dingwall  (Read 1936 times)

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCulloch Family From Dingwall
« on: Monday 07 January 13 19:43 GMT (UK) »
William McCulloch and Rachel Dunn married in Dunblane on 4th Oct 1829 before moving to Dingwall sometime before the 1841 Census.

I have checked trough SP and downloaded the entry in the 1841 census, unfortunately the address isn't viewable only the house number.

At the time they have 4 children: Margaret aged 11, Elsie aged 9, John aged 7 and finally Edward from whom I am descended.who was 3 at the time.  Williams occupation is a saddler.

I know that Edward married Margaret McBeath in Bridge of Allan in on 7th February 1862 before moving to Dundee.

I have heard second hand that the 1851 Census had the family living at 13 High Street which was in fact a Saddler’s shop.  At the time there were: John (17), Edward (12), listed as a Scholar and born in Dingwall,  27th March 1838 and Christened on 22nd June 1838 – Dingwall, Ross and Cromerty, Scotland William (8), Joseph (6), Jeanette (2).

I understand that the 1851 census has William McCulloch (47), a Saddler, who was born in Dingwall, Ross & Cromerty and that his wife Rachel was born in Dunblane.  This may explain why they moved to Dingwall, but I have accessed the 1851 census myself can someone please confirm this.

In 1871 Edward and his wife Margaret McBeath were living at 15 Hunter Street, Dundee. 

Again if anyone could look up the census for 1861 and 1871 for Dingwall to see whether any of the McCullochs were still there I'd be grateful.

I have no idea at the moment what happened to the remainder of the McCulloch's but if anyone has them in their family tree I'd naturally be very interested to hear.

Some of the McCulloch's went on to serve in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders in both South Africa and India.  Some of the McCulloch's settled in South Africa and whom I'm trying to trace.

Regards

Jim
Gordon, McCulloch

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: McCulloch Family From Dingwall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim ,

Have you tried FreeCEN for the 1841 Census ?
A transcription but it does have the resource to look at previous or next households.

http://www.freecen.org.uk/

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCulloch Family From Dingwall
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 13 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim ,

Have you tried FreeCEN for the 1841 Census ?
A transcription but it does have the resource to look at previous or next households.

http://www.freecen.org.uk/

ev

Thanks ev, I'm looking at it now.  It just has the address as "Address: - , Royal Burgh", Previous household the same and next household states "Caledonian Bank, Royal Burgh".

I'm now trying to locate the others in subsequent Census. < Turns out that only 1841 is available for Dingwall  >:(

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Jim
Gordon, McCulloch