Author Topic: Ship Echo  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Sibseyuk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Echo
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Francis Henwood  Sailor on the Echo is mentioned in an article in The Argus Friday 20th April 1855.
He was in a scuffle with a fellow sailor at sea in Jan 1855 and the other sailor was charged.

Offline Fatso03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Dexter, I believe that I can confirm that you ancestor Francis Hanwood was on the Echo when it arrived at Williamstown. Unfortunately, he was stabbed just below the left eye in a fight that occurred on the morning of the ship's arrival. Even more unfortunately, it would appear that my ancestor, William Jowett, was the person who stabbed him!
The Maritime Police investigated the event and a series of depositions were taken, including one from Francis Henwood. The fight occurred at breakfast time and seems to have arisen from some drunken carousing above deck on the night before. This had apparently disturbed William Jowett's sleep and he was voicing his displeasure in the morning. The legal issue resolved around whether William, who was responding to a punch from Henwood, struck back with his hand that happened to contain the breakfast implements, or whether he had a concealed knife in his possession and used it to inflict the damage. It all goes to intention to inflict bodily harm etc. I have some depositions but they are of poor quality. You are welcome to whatever you want.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 04:26 BST (UK) »
The Argus 14 Apr 1855
A man named William Jowett, a sailor on board the ship Echo, that has recently arrived in this port, was committed for trial by the Water Police Magistrate at Williamstown, yesterday, for having stabbed a fellow seaman in the eye with a knife with intent to murder him.

Surname of Francis is incorrect in the news item.

The Argus 20 Apr 1855
STABBING ON THE HIGH SEAS
William Jowett was charged with this offence. Mr Adamson prosecuted for the Attorney-General ; the prisoner was undefended.
The prisoner and Francis Sherwood were both sailors on board the ship Echo, from Liverpool. On the 13th January a quarrel took place between tho prisoner and another of the crew. Prosecutor took the part of the man with whom prisoner was quarrelling. Prosecutor struck the prisoner, and a scuffle ensued, in which prosecutor received a wound in his eye.
Tho jury found the prisoner guilty, with a recommendation to mercy. Sentence : six months on tho roads, with hard labor.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fatso03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 06:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks cando. I have copy of the Argus in .pdf format and am having difficulty in locating the article. Can you direct me to the page number to shorten my search.

Thanks

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 06:31 BST (UK) »
I posted the text of the news items for Dexter.

You can search on TROVE using your ancestor's name.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 06:33 BST (UK) »
Left hand column (bottom section) under "POST OFFICE NOTICE.-MAILS OUTWARD" http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4806723

Offline dexter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Thank you all for the information,I did find some of the news items, but still some to lookup.

Regrds Dexter.