Author Topic: Kearnan and Fegan  (Read 9000 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Kearnan and Fegan
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »
sorry you've lost me ... how is County Kilkenny involved ?

I believe you said John and Mary had no children in Ireland and married in Australia, and Thomas Kearnan and spouse Jane Fegan lived in County Meath where Mary Jane was born... do you think the family moved to county Kilkenny after Mary Jane was born  ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

This is the info I have on Thomas and Jane.

Thomas Kearnan was born in County Meath, Ireland.
Thomas Kearnan was employed as a Farmer.
Thomas Kearnan and Jane Fegan had the following children:
Mary Jane Kearnan was born in 1846 in County Meath, Ireland. She died on 26 Apr 1926 in 64 Park Street, Brunswick, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
She married John Dwyer on 22 Jul 1867 in Terang, Victoria, Australia.

John was born c 1846 Coorleagh Townlands, Shankill (Paulstown) Parish: Gowran Barony County Kilkenny, Ireland.
He was the son of Jeremiah (Darby) Dwyer, farmer, and Bridget (Brigid) Nolan of Coorleigh Townland, County Kilkenny.

John and Mary married in Victoria, Australia. I'm not sure if they met prior to embarking to Australia or if they met once in Australia. I feel it may be the latter.

I am looking for the details of Thomas Kearnan and Jane Fegan (Meath), and also Jeremiah Dwyer (Kilkenny).

My apologies if I confused you    :)

Briellen

Scott: Enzieholme, Eskadalemuir, Dumfries; Meadows, South Australia, Victoria
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria
Kearnan: Meath, Ireland
Berlund: Angermanland, Sweden
Harriott:  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland; Bungendore, NSW
McFadzen: Wigtownshire; Bungendore, NSW

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 21:58 GMT (UK) »
This is the info I have on Thomas and Jane.

Thomas Kearnan was born in County Meath, Ireland.
Thomas Kearnan was employed as a Farmer.
Thomas Kearnan and Jane Fegan had the following children:
Mary Jane Kearnan was born in 1846 in County Meath, Ireland. She died on 26 Apr 1926 in 64 Park Street, Brunswick, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
I am looking for the details of Thomas Kearnan and Jane Fegan (Meath)

ok - this is the Co. Meath board, so let's leave any Dwyers and Co. Kilkenny connections to one side.

You require a more detailed location e.g. a parish or town for your Kearnan/Fegan family to enable a search for them. What I was saying earlier was suggesting that the place to start would be with a more recent event like the baptism of their Co. Meath born daughter Mary Jane.

I dont think there's much point in trying to search for earlier details on Thomas or Jane until the location for this family has been established.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 00:09 GMT (UK) »
1. From the birth certificate of her daughter Bridget Jane, Mary's birth place was Rath...aline?, County of Meath, Ireland.

2. From the birth certificate of Mary Ellen, Mary's birth place was Killbeg?, County Meath, Ireland
With the 2nd I noted there is a Townland Kilbeg Lower and a Townland Kilbeg Upper, both in the Barony of Lower Kells and in the Civil Parish of Kilbeg.

I put 1 & 2 two together, and came up with - the Townland of Kill Beg in the Barony of Lower Moyfenrath, and the Civil Parish of Rathmolyon. This one is in Meath.

I just now came across Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Rathmolyon, County Meath. In it are mentioned quite a few Fegans (1 Mary - Castletown) and Kiernans (1 Thomas - Kill Beg). I think I will follow this one up and see where it leads as the details seem to fit.  :D
Scott: Enzieholme, Eskadalemuir, Dumfries; Meadows, South Australia, Victoria
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria
Kearnan: Meath, Ireland
Berlund: Angermanland, Sweden
Harriott:  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland; Bungendore, NSW
McFadzen: Wigtownshire; Bungendore, NSW