Author Topic: Names ELKS/HELKS/POWNALL/PURCALL/PERCELL - Wellington area  (Read 2239 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Names ELKS/HELKS/POWNALL/PURCALL/PERCELL - Wellington area
« on: Friday 03 June 05 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone - I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is linked to these families in the Wellington area, I think the Pownalls may have had links to Wrockwardine Wood, and possibly Macclesfield and Liverpool, but the
(H)elks name is local, I have more info if anyone needs it.  cheers Fred

Just added a new name Purcall .   John Elks married Margaret Purcall about 1820 in Wellington, and Margarets mother looks like being the daughter of Sam Davies of Wellington.

pwhh

Re: Names Elks (Helks) Pownall, Wellington area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I also have Pownalls in Wrockwardine Wood.  As far as I can tell, they are all from the same family, from Lancashire.
Mine were in Wrockwardine Wood area from c1835 to 1870ish, but I believe others stayed there.
pwhh

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
Pwhh - I found the Pownalls of Wrockwardine Wood when looking for my grandfather Harry Pownall, there was one there 10 years younger, I still have quite a bit of info on them.  They too had links to Macclesfield via lilleshall.  My Pownalls had links to West Derby, Liverpool also.  If you want the info ust ask. fred

pwhh

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Mine are the Pownalls who are living in Wrockwardine Wood in 1841, 1851 and later - head of family John, b about 1809 in Newton, Lancs., wife Phillis.  Their son John (b1839) is my connection.  I believe a generation of this family did have a Harry in it somewhere, later - is he yours?
But have also come across an Abraham P., also later, with connections to Macclesfield and Liverpool.  Haven't yet found any link between the two families. 
Would be delighted if you can throw any light on it...?
pwhh

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 18:56 BST (UK) »
Pwhh - Have I ever answered you?     My Pownalls seem to form a triangle between Liverpool (West Derby) the Macclesfield area (Hurdsfield, Rainow etc.) and Wellington in Shropshire.

I did begin by following the Harry born Wrockwardine Wood, and found links to Lilleshall, and then back to Macclesfield, but then it was the wrong family, although there may be a link back in Macclesfield.

You can see my Pownalls on the Cheshire board.  cheers Fred

Offline alnat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Names ELKS/HELKS/POWNALL/PURCALL/PERCELL - Wellington area
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 October 06 21:10 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at Wellington 1821 Census for your Purcell & Elks families.

I can't see a John and Margaret but living next door to each other in Ketley Town were

Mary Purcell 53
William 24 labourer
Thomas 16
Henrietta 14

John Elks 25 labourer
Mary 22
Samuel 3 months

Are these connected to your family?
Wellington/Dawley areas - Attwood, Podmore, Wall
Sheffield - Oxspring
Machester - Clarkson
London - Whiffen/in
Leics. - Wass

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Names ELKS/HELKS/POWNALL/PURCALL/PERCELL - Wellington area
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 October 06 23:22 BST (UK) »
Alnat - I have heard that there were earlier census than 1841, but I have never come across any, and at first I thought you meant 1841, but no, that is Mary Purcell nee Davies, my GGG-Grandmother.

And John Elks and wife Mary?    I have found they sometimes write Marg, and I think this is the case here, they married in 1821, so Samuel is their first child, thanks so much for that.  Off to look for Ketley.  Cheers Fred