Author Topic: James Feeley/Fehilly married Catherine Sharkod circa 1860 Boyle Roscommon  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Aussiebird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Feeley/Fehilly married Catherine Sharkod circa 1860 Boyle Roscommon
« on: Wednesday 09 January 13 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find any record that may show that this couple had more than one child - Sarah Catherine Feeley b. 1864 in Croghan, Boyle Roscommon. Sarah is my GGrandmother but I cannot find the above marriage or baptisms for this family before Sarah migrated to Australia in 1884.
James was a stone mason who eventually went to England and died there in 1892. Catherine may have actually had the surname of Sharkey (misspelt). There are so many Feeley/Sharkey combinations it is very confusing.
Would anyone know if JOCOBI FIHELY is latin for James Feeley?
And lastly when reading a shipping manifest of the passenger lists does anyone know what it means when the passengers are on a page with the heading of Remittance, as opposed to the other pages such as Free, Steerage, Assisted?
I appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Feeley/Fehilly married Catherine Sharkod circa 1860 Boyle Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

where did James die? I can see a death in Auckland, Durham in 1892.
1891 has a James and Catherine 'Fesley' in Bishop Auckland with a daughter Bedelia aged 29 yrs.

That family are there in 1881 also - Feeley :-\
They are also there in 1871 - no daughter Sarah just the daughter Bridget (Bedelia in later censuses)
James is born Roscommon but presumably these are not your family. ???

The latin for James is Jacobus - Jacobi would mean 'of James'.  (I think going back many years).

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk