Author Topic: Cambridge Thomas Paddle Pattle  (Read 993 times)

Offline Violet P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cambridge Thomas Paddle Pattle
« on: Wednesday 09 January 13 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information about Thomas Paddle, born 1789, m 17 Oct 1813 to Elisabeth Lane, m 9 Aug 1824 to Mary Ann Williamson, particularly who his parents were and where he was born.  This info could be on his marriage certificates.
I have Elisabeth Lane as born in Bristol UK 11 Nov 1788, m Thomas Paddle 17 Oct 1813, d 1823 in Fordham, Cambridgeshire, UK, parents Joseph and Betty Lane.
I am a descendant of their son James, b 18 Oct, 1819.  Thanks for any help.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridge Thomas Paddle Pattle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat,
Even after civil registration started in 1837 the marriage certificates will not give place of birth or both parents.  Only the father will be named.
Prior to that date the parish registers will show age, status and which parish people are living in at the time of the marriage (with luck) and there will be two witnesses who may or may not be family members.
Not as much information as you were hoping for I'm afraid.  It is always worth looking at the original entry though as occasionally the vicar adds more.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Child born to Thomas Paddle and Elizabeth- Frances Paddle baptised 9/5/1815; child born to Thomas Paddle and Mary Ann, Eliza Paddle baptised 22/3/1829. Burial of Thomas Paddle, Fordham, aged 40 years, 3/10/1829.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 13 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I have Elisabeth Lane as born in Bristol UK 11 Nov 1788,

Where does the information that Elizabeth Lane was born in Bristol come from, it seems a long way from Fordham  :-\

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Violet P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 January 13 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Info was from Ancestry:
Elisabeth Lane  bn 11 Nov 1788 was baptised 24 Feb 1793 in Bristol - parents  Joseph Lane & Betty. Two other children were bap same day Benjamine bn 29 Jul 1786 & Jane  bn 1 Oct 1792.
Thomas & Elisabeth Lane married 17 Oct 1813.   :)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 January 13 07:27 GMT (UK) »
How have you proved that it was Elisabeth Lane from Bristol who married in Fordham, nearly 200 miles away? Rather than, say, Elizabeth Lane who was baptised in Bottisham, 6 miles from Fordham, in 1791.

Unless the marriage entry said Elisabeth Lane of the parish of Bristol it's an enormous leap of faith to assume it's the same person.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Violet P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 January 13 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat,
Even after civil registration started in 1837 the marriage certificates will not give place of birth or both parents.  Only the father will be named.
Prior to that date the parish registers will show age, status and which parish people are living in at the time of the marriage (with luck) and there will be two witnesses who may or may not be family members.
Not as much information as you were hoping for I'm afraid.  It is always worth looking at the original entry though as occasionally the vicar adds more.
Thanks a million for your help.  I've relied on online information so far but will purchase a Birth Certificate for Thomas Paddle.

Offline Violet P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 13 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Child born to Thomas Paddle and Elizabeth- Frances Paddle baptised 9/5/1815; child born to Thomas Paddle and Mary Ann, Eliza Paddle baptised 22/3/1829. Burial of Thomas Paddle, Fordham, aged 40 years, 3/10/1829.
regards.

Thanks for your help and info, particularly about Thomas dying.  Do you know where I could obtain more details about the death of Thomas Paddle?  Would a Death Cert from 1829 give his reason for dying?

Offline Violet P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 January 13 08:33 GMT (UK) »
How have you proved that it was Elisabeth Lane from Bristol who married in Fordham, nearly 200 miles away? Rather than, say, Elizabeth Lane who was baptised in Bottisham, 6 miles from Fordham, in 1791.

Unless the marriage entry said Elisabeth Lane of the parish of Bristol it's an enormous leap of faith to assume it's the same person.

David
Hi
I'm not from England, have no idea where the towns are, I gather information online, particularly from Ancestry.uk. and I'm very grateful for any correct information that leads me to forming a perfect Family History Tree of my Pattle/Paddle ancestry.
Thanks so much for your help, I will look into the Bottisham link.