Author Topic: Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie of Montreal  (Read 3664 times)

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie of Montreal
« on: Wednesday 09 January 13 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any help in tracing Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie during his time in Montreal and his father's family from there.
Hugh was born in Trinidad in 1820, his mother was Bethia Edmonstone from Scotland and his father John Mongomerie from Montreal. Both families had plantations there. Mother died in 1821 and the father died in New York 1836c. I'm guessing that when the emancipation act came in John moved back to Montreal and took Hugh with him to be brought up with the Montgomerie family there. I have Hugh in Montreal in 1845-46 as a member of the Montreal Light Infantry and then in 1847 he turns up in Stirling, Scotland. His mother's family originate from there. Then I have him in London in the 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census's. His occupation is listed as shipowner. He died in April 1891 in Montreal. He must have kept ties with Montreal during his lifetime as I have him listed as a director in the Canadian Agency Association in 1859.
Thats about it really, apart from a vague reference to a Hugh E. Montgomerie and an arson charge in Montreal in 1846?
I would really like help for anyone who can shed some light on this man when he lived in Montreal, many thanks in advance.
Stewart
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie of Montreal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any help in tracing Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie during his time in Montreal

He died in April 1891 in Montreal.

Is this the same Hugh ?

Hugh Edmonstone-Montgomerie age 71 (1820) 61 West Cromwell Road South Kensington
Burial Date: 6 Jun 1891
Parish or Poor Law Union:   Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, Lambeth
Register Type:   Bishop's Transcript
Comments: Reused graves at Norwood; see the database description for a link for more information.

Ellen Appleyard Edmonstone Montgomerie age 82 (1831) 200 Cromwell Road Kensington
Burial Date: 23 Jan 1913
Parish or Poor Law Union:   Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, Lambeth
Register Type:   Bishop's Transcript
Comments: Reused graves at Norwood; see the database description for a link for more information.

sorry can't help with details for Montreal
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk thats our man, your info shows something I didn't have though, after he died, the body must have been brought back to England for the interment at Lambeth hence the date.
Thanks for your help, Stewart.
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 12:23 GMT (UK) »
He must have kept ties with Montreal during his lifetime as I have him listed as a director in the Canadian Agency Association in 1859.

http://www.castle.ca/downloads/Emmerson_TheMillReserve.pdf

Snippet page 3 The Canadian Land & Emigration Co of London
A decision to offer …. for sale en block
Vankoughnet Commisioner of Crown Lands in Jan 1859….. they had an English buyer already lined up

Snippet Page 4 …..
October of 1860 CAA agent assures Vankoughnet that his purchasers would buy the 10 townships surveyed …….The scheme’s three major promoters named

(one being Hugh Edmondstone Montgomerie of London – that is the only time his name is mentioned)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I looked in the Lovell's Montreal directory for 1885-1892 and he's not there, not Montgomery either. No reference in the parish registers that I could find....of course he wasn't buried there so I doubt they would record a memorial-type service, but I don't really know.

He is in the directory 1845-46, living at 66 Craig St. It's called St-Antoine now, and 66 would likely be west of St-Lawrence Blvd, the street that splits the city into east and west. Either way, it's not far from St-Lawrence, on the edge of the Old City and just a few blocks from downtown. I'm on a tablet and can't get the street view so I can't see if the area looks anything like it might have in 1845.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Pompeylib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 December 22 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello, not sure if I've replied before, a while back! Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie is my great-great-grandfather, and I know that, after a bit of a political kerfuffle, he returned from his time working in Montreal to England at the end of 1849. He prospered there (by and large) as a ship broker, married & had a large family, and died in west London in 1891. He'd been brought up by 2 Scottish aunts in Stirling & educated in Scotland, after his mother died sadly soon after his birth. If you're still interested, maybe we can share more information. Best wishes - Joanna

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 December 22 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Pompeylib! Odd how many trees have him dying in Montreal...?
London News - Hugh Edmonstone-Montgomerie - died June 2,1891.
FreeBMD-Death June Q 1891 - Montgomerie, Hugh E age 71 - Kensington vol.1a p.156

His place of business in Montreal- 333, rue de la Commune Ouest - Maritime Transports
Began as Millar, Parlane and Company / 1835 as Millar, Edmonstone and Company /1939  Edmonstone, Allan and Co. /   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01s02/
Owned by Sir HUGH Allan -shipping magnate  ( of the Allen bros. of Allen line shipping fame) railway promoter, financier, and capitalist and his partner ( & I assume, a relative on Hugh's mother's side Perhaps her brother: William Edmonstone b.Jul 1794 in Strathblane, Stirling, Scotland )
William Edmonstone -  Montreal , Merchant  -Living at a house on Devonshire place, 146 Sherbrooke  st. on the Montreal directory

Directory has the business as: general merchants, corner of St. François Xavier street and Fortification lane...with a change of address coming
1854/55 it is - Common opposite the Upper Wharf
1855 Edmonstone, And,  trader, 17 Phillip
Late 1850s they were at the building in the photo & it was added that they were agents for the Montreal Ocean Steamship Co.
Bilt in 1858/59 - The single property eventually comprising four buildings

More on the building here:
https://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/dfhd/page_fhbro_eng.aspx?id=12111

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Pompeylib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 December 22 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thank you for this Montreal info, it's v interesting! Below is an extract from a letter written by HEM shortly before he sailed back to England at the end of 1849, where he settled down & had a large family.

"Here, in Montreal, I have got a few more orders since I wrote you, & am now fairly begun to make my calls on the business folk here, as my time of departure is drawing nigh. I intend leaving New York on the 12th December in the Steamer Canada, & hope to be in Liverpool on or about the 23rd, when I trust to find a despatch from you awaiting me at Allan & Gillespie’s.

Mr Edmonstone will be home at the same time & will probably expect a few lines from you too, reporting progress as to the ‘City of Hamilton’ & so forth. Symes, Torry, Philip Holland & Davie Mair, all go home in the steamer of the 12th.

Immediately on my arrival at Liverpool I shall make tracks straight for London to engage an office, & if you have any instructions, advice or information to give on that head, you had better have it in waiting for me. Some of the quiet streets (if such an article is to be had in London) off Cheapside or Leadenhall Street or Lime Street will, I think, be the best location for us to squat in."

Hard to know why the idea took root that he died in Montreal...! Montgomerie & Greenhorne were in fact based at 17, Gracechurch Street in the City of London - a street featured in 'Pride & Prejudice', I find - "Once upon a time, Cheapside and Gracechurch Street were in the commercial heart of the city of London. It was the main shopping district in Jane Austen’s day...", though wrecked during the Blitz of WW2. And HEM himself lived variously in Regent Street, central London (as a single man), then, once married, in SE London and W London with his family, dying at 61 West Cromwell Road, Kensington, London, on 2 June 1891.
We must be cousins of some sort ...?  :)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 December 22 04:20 GMT (UK) »
after Craig St. where China found him...he also lived in Montreal a couple more yrs...
1847 Montgomerie, H. E. - house - Sherbrooke, near Bleury st
1848/49 Montgomerie, H. E. - house - *Devonshire place, Sherbrooke st.
 Note* same address as (his uncle?) William Edmonstone.
There is also a Mrs. A. C.  Montgomerie living in Montreal... Her husband d. 1834 - a merchant...Perhaps related.
   H. E. MONTGOMERIE still carried on business with Montreal after 1849 - you can find him in Montreal news.
Messrs Montgomerie & Greenhorne, of 17 Gracechurch Street  are also Agents for the Montreal steamers sailing from Liverpool.
   He named one of his ships "City of Quebec" - an iron vessel of 708 tons register owned by Messrs Montgomerie and Workman, late Montgomerie and Greenhorne...
Can you imagine a voyage of around 3 months???
https://sites.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/ArrivalCityofQuebec1879.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com