Author Topic: Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie of Montreal  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Pompeylib

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie of Montreal
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Yes, the journeys they undertook as a matter of course were amazing - though I think by 1850 with reasonable weather one might hope for nearer 6 weeks ... I have a diary that he wrote of a trip from Glasgow to Naples to collect a business partner in 1840 - horse-drawn carriages etc.
Re the reason for HEM leaving Montreal - if you check out this link you'll see why he made a brisk departure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_the_Parliament_Buildings_in_Montreal
And there's a drawing of him too, he's on the left. A deal was done with the authorities, I suppose that if he left there wd be no more consequences of his inflammatory speechifying.
How do you connect to him? Are we distant cousins?

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Edmonstone Montgomerie of Montreal
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 December 22 04:31 GMT (UK) »
   Not a rellie, just noted some things to add to the thread after I'd messaged the initial poster that there was a reply from you...In case their auto-notification had been turned off.
   They may have changed email address or loss interest. Have fun on the site!
( P.S. Ack...your ancestor was more than just a bit of a rabble-rouser...Yikes!!!)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com