Author Topic: Windows Wave  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Windows Wave
« on: Wednesday 09 January 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Got a new toy to convert my vinyls to disc. It seems I need Windows Wave. (Which it didn't explain anywhere) I have the basic Windows program. I found this: http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html
Is it what I need to complete the procedure?
It goes with a program called Audacity.

Thanks in advance

Techie challenged
Freckle
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.
Home page http://myrobertsons.tribalpages.com

Offline PhilipRhayader

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Wave
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with Windows Wave itself but Audacity is excellent - and free! I've used it for transferring audio tape to mp3 and recording Radio broadcasts.

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Phillip,
it all goes great until I hit playback, then dead air. Had to phone the distributor of the original toy to find out the Wave thing.

Cheers
Freckle
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
It might help if you tell us what your new toy is and where you are trying to playback the discs.

Am I right in assuming the toy converts to a .wav audio file?  If you are unsure of the file type, put the disc in the pc and look in windows explorer to find out what file extensions have been created.

Audio and video files need codecs installed on the pc before it can recognise and play them.  Windows media player comes with some codecs but you might find you need to download a different player to play the files you have created.  Also some car audio units do not have the full range of codecs.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 13 02:40 GMT (UK) »
My new toy is a Lenoxx record player/cassette thingy TT500 that can covert to cd. When I rang Lenoxx, I spoke with a techie who said I have to have said wave to hear it.
Goes waaaayyyy over my head.

Cheers
Freckle

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 13 03:16 GMT (UK) »
After recording, did you go to file then select save as gave the file a name and selected file format as MP3?

MP3 files play on just about any digital player
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 13 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Do they just mean the wave which is part of windows sound? Have you tried clicking on the sound icon in your taskbar to check that the volume is turned up?
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 13 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Also to export files as MP3 in Audacity you may first need to install Lame.
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi sstarr,
I have checked all volume controls, that was the first thing. The techie at Lenoxx told me I need the Wave program, never having heard of it (not unusual) I wasn't sure if that link I posted was it.
I don't have an mp3 so I didn't think I could save to something like that.

Cheers
Freckle