Author Topic: Arthur William Purchall married in Invercargill in 1900  (Read 4189 times)

Offline katlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur William Purchall married in Invercargill in 1900
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 26 January 13 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those bits of information.

I would say that the Mary Tormey that died in 1869 in Islington is the correct one. I dont think my relative was correct about Mary dying in New Zealand.  As Dominick also remarried in 1871 makes me think first wife died previously. 

Many thanks to Lucy2 for clearing that up.

Now I have to work out how Mary Connoll/y appeared in James Summers life and where she came from, wonder also if there were more children from this union.

Katlady

Offline japesbolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 04 November 22 02:43 GMT (UK) »
my great grand uncle Arthur William Purchall born 1873 in Edmonton, England immigrated to New Zealand in 1874 with his parents before marrying Martha Anne Wallace in 1900. I believe they had several children in New Zealand.  Hoping someone can help with a link to this lost family.

Arthur William Purchall was why grandfather, tho I never met him.

My father is John Arthur Bolton, son of John McQueen Bolton and Jessie Ellen Purchall.

My grandmother, Jessie died in childbirth in 1946.

Dorothy Honoria Purchall (Dora Fitzgerald) raised my father and his sisters Heather and Gayleen.

Offline japesbolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 04 November 22 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Although NZ Birth records are only viewable up to "today's date, 1913", it would seem that Isabelle (1912) was the last-born of the PURCHALL children.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

"Auckland Star" - 5 August 1943 - Deaths

The above newspaper carried a notice for the death of Martha Ann's brother, John WALLACE.
It mentioned that he was (also) the loved uncle of "Betty*, John, Dora*, Jessie and Isabelle".

[* Presumably "Betty" was the PURCHALL child registered as "Martha Amelia Elizabeth"  ... and "Dora", a pet name for Dorothy ? ]

I'm still looking for "Betty" -- at her marriage her name was recorded as "Elizabeth Amelia Martha" ??

[There are several other "hits" for PURCHALL at the PaperPast website - in case you haven't seen them. ]

~  Lu

You're quite right that Isabelle was married to the a Canadian serviceman - Frank Caine. She was known as 'Babe' (till she died she was known as Aunty Babe), Dorothy was known as Dora and raised my father after his mother Jessie died in 1946. John married much later in life and had no children of his own, tho he was stepfather to the daughter of his wife. I've never heard mention of a Betty Purchall tho...

Offline japesbolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 04 November 22 03:16 GMT (UK) »
The main death notice for Isabelle has been put in the paper by her neices and nephews so she may not have had children,there is no mention of a husband either.I will PM the notice to you

Cheers Janette

Aunty Babe had no children and never remarried after the death of her Canadian husband. She lived in a state house in the (now very gentrified) suburb of Westmere, in a house that backed onto Western Springs speedway/concert venue. SHe had more cats than I could ever count and was a sweetest 'great aunt' (tho her house in my childhood had a strong aroma of cat pee).