Author Topic: Robert Beattie  (Read 8330 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Robert Beattie
« on: Thursday 10 January 13 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Robert Beattie is buried in the cemetery at Lochmaben.  His headstone reveals that he died 26th June 1851 aged 81 years. He married Janet Chalmers at Lochmaben on 16th August 1811. They are my 3 greats Grandparents.

In 1795 Robert had married firstly Mary Graham also at Lochmaben.  (The OPR states that they married clandestinely. What does this imply, please?).  Based on his calculated year of birth he was 15 or 16 at the time. So much I know.

In 1917 my great uncle (Robert's great grandson) went to Watcarrick in Eskdalemuir and around to find information about his forebears and apart from some photographs some information was written down including details about William Beattie and Ann Scott of Watcarrick taken from their headstone.  and he noted 'Robert Beattie was born there'.

After many, many years I cannot find a positive record for Robert's birth/baptism that links him to Eskdale but - - -maybe somewhere else.
Can anyone help please?

Regards
Reiver

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Beattie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver

Regarding a clandistine marriage, see www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,629742.msg4777123.html#msg4777123

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 13 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Many thanks for the information about clandestine marriages. It was superb.

Can I take it further please?

First of all I made an error in ascribing the marriage to Robert Beattie - just in case I've confused somebody else.  It actually concerned a marriage in 1775 in Canonbie.  However two days later there was another one designated the same 'were married clandestinely'.  If though there was the likelihood of extreme consequences why would the minister carry out the marriage and secondly why publish that he had done such a thing.

Could money or power be talking?  ;D ;D

Regards
Reiver

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 13 12:15 GMT (UK) »
More than likely both  ::)

A check of the Kirk Sessions might reveal more, but not sure if this is practical for you to do...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 13 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica for the suggestion.  That could go some way to solving my mystery but I think it will have to go on the back-burner.

Reiver

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 January 13 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

Were you after information on William Beattie and Ann Scott plus their offspring?
Scott: Enzieholme, Eskadalemuir, Dumfries; Meadows, South Australia, Victoria
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria
Kearnan: Meath, Ireland
Berlund: Angermanland, Sweden
Harriott:  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland; Bungendore, NSW
McFadzen: Wigtownshire; Bungendore, NSW

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 January 13 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Briellin
I am pretty positive I have all the information I need  - and more - about William Beattie and Ann Scott.  I have been acquiring it for a long time with the main reason to try and establish a recordable link with Robert Beattie.   But I haven't yet found it.  All I have is what my father's uncle wrote some 100 years ago which is the basis really for this topic.
But if you can help in any way with this I would be highly delighted. :) :)

Reiver

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find Robert in the 1851 Census.  After various options on ScottishPeople I wonder if he is in an institution/hospital somewhere where he may be recorded only by his initials.  How does one search for the initials RB via SP please?

Reiver

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver,

I spent hours going through my Beattie info and SP and other sites looking for info on Robert Beattie. I did find a few things, though nothing groundbreaking. I just have to find the file I put it all in as I got sidetracked looking for Scotts and it is mixed in with that. I saved all I found whether it seemed relevant or not so you can sort through it.

I have a friend who has worked on the Beattie line for the last 25 years. She is in the middle of moving house but once she is settled in I will ask her for any info she might have.

In an old book I was doing research in I came across the term of clandestine marriages. In those days they were titled as "Green Marriages" - hence Gretna Green.

Kind regards,
Briellen

Scott: Enzieholme, Eskadalemuir, Dumfries; Meadows, South Australia, Victoria
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria
Kearnan: Meath, Ireland
Berlund: Angermanland, Sweden
Harriott:  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland; Bungendore, NSW
McFadzen: Wigtownshire; Bungendore, NSW