Author Topic: Francis(Frank) Alston Hole  (Read 7179 times)

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis(Frank) Alston Hole
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »
HelloPeter,

Yes, he did have some siblings, but to the best of my knowledge, when I have been able to find them they have predeceased him.

Martin

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 January 13 02:56 GMT (UK) »
The BMD says Death: Dartford, Kent ,England Jan-Feb-Mar 1961

The registration district of Dartford covers quite a few parishes so unless you know that she was actually living in Dartford town at the time of her death it would be difficult to suggest a newspaper to search for any obituary http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/dartford.html

The burial registers for Dartford are online at Medway Cityark - follow the link to Cityark Imagebase in the left hand menu and then scroll down to the "Way of Death" project.  I had a quick look but couldn't see her in any of the Dartford Cemeteries http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

If she was living in the Bexley area then it could be that she was cremated at Eltham Crematorium but I couldn't see her in the index http://www.deceasedonline.com/

As you mention not having any addresses can we assume that you don't have the marriage certificate for Francis A HOLE to Nellie?  As this took place in the Gravesend registration district we should expect to find it on the Kent Registration Services site which would give us more of an idea where the marriage was .......... unfortunately it is not in the index http://extranet3.kent.gov.uk/sp/rois/home.html

Many of the marriages in the parish churches of Gravesend and Milton are online at Medway Cityark - I had a quick look (you may like to look if you haven't already done so) but couldn't see anything.  Follow the link to Parish Registers Online in the left hand menu http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

Are you absolutely certain that this marriage is for your Frank and that the later death of Nellie A HOLE is the wife or widow of said Frank?  I notice you mention her sometimes being names Beatrice, may we ask the source of this information?

What is you actual last confirmed sighting of Frank?  The latest I could find is what appears to be a court case in 1915.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I am not repling in any correct order

On the 1901 Census RG 13/811 Florence Beatrice Rose was shown as living with her grandmother  and age was shown as 1 which accords with her date of birth of 1900,  the exact date which at the moment I have mislaid.

the 1911 census she was shown as Florence Rose aged 11. How she became toi be called Nellie I have not a clue.

I noticed on many of Findmypast records she is shown as Nellie

Regarding the marriage, Nellie Rose definitely married Francis A Hole, as I found this through theFindmypast marriage finder.

The last sighting literally was around 1931 in an obituary from an unkown Gravesend newspaper where Mr Frank Alston Hole brother of the deceased Mrs Alice Lake was present at the funeral which too place at Higham.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 January 13 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Try Gravesham Borough Council for a burial of Nellie HOLE, they will check the cemeteries at Gravesend and Northfleet http://www.gravesham.gov.uk/services/advice-and-benefits/deaths,-funerals-and-cremations/family-history-searches

On the 1901 Census RG 13/811 Florence Beatrice Rose was shown as living with her grandmother  and age was shown as 1 which accords with her date of birth of 1900,  the exact date which at the moment I have mislaid.

the 1911 census she was shown as Florence Rose aged 11. How she became toi be called Nellie I have not a clue.

I noticed on many of Findmypast records she is shown as Nellie

Regarding the marriage, Nellie Rose definitely married Francis A Hole, as I found this through theFindmypast marriage finder.

Florence Beatrice ROSE (dau of Bertie ROSE and Elizabeth Jane RICHARDS) ................ did she not marry Ernest Charles POTTER then?  He was a local (Sittingbourne) lad who served in the Royal Navy and died Plymouth.  There's also a Nellie Florence ROSE who was born in the area about the same time but she looks to have possibly died in 1919 age 19.  Are you sure Nellie's maiden name was ROSE ............. could she have been a widow when she married Francis/Frank HOLE?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 January 13 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I am becoming Confused of Kent!

Perhaps, I am on to the wrong  Rose, and it should be Nellie Florence Rose.

No, she was not a widow when she married my maternal grandfather in 1937, Registration district Gravesend in Jan/Feb/March quarter as Civil Registration event: Marriage from Findmypast shows her as ROSE.

Incidentally, you said the last details you could find about Francis Alston Hole was a court case in 1915, this is when my maternal grandmother divorced him a result of cruelty by the said Francis Alston Hole. I have the divorce papers in my possession.

However, in spite of the marriage in 1937 and the attendance at a funeral in 1931 this is the last that I could find out about my maternal grandfather, and I still do not know where and when he died.

Regarding Nellie Florence Rose' unfortunately I do not have a subscription to Ancestry and Findmypast, and therefore do not have a  1937 marriage certificate or 1900 (birth)/1911 census details of Florence Nellie Rose.

Regards,

Martin

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 January 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »
The 1915 court case referred to Frank Alston HOLE's conviction for stealing a £4,200 cheque  from his employers Messrs. Hall and Co. stockjobbers.  He was sentenced to six months' imprisonment with hard labour.  :o
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 09:16 GMT (UK) »
That is interesting, as it was before the divorce.

Having found the copy of the Divorce papers, I see all this took place in 1916.

My maternal grandmother having filed Notice and Affidavit for Decree Absolute on the 8th November 1916.

Another rogue in the family,as my great grandfather was declared bankrupt, as was one of his son-in-law, the said Thomas Thompson whose name appears on another board.

Of course I am still looking for the death of Francis (Frank) Alston Hole and anything relating to his marriage to Nellie Florence Rose and her death in 1961.

Martin

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
As Frank had been divorced his marriage would have been in a Register Office so it will not be included in the online records of Medway Cityark.  I doubt there would be a write-up about the marriage in the local paper. The only way to find out further details would be to purchase the certificate.

Where was he after his divorce?  Did he serve in WW1?

It's odd that there is no sign of his death.  I can only think that he died unidentified, he changed his name or he emigrated.  ???

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Francis (sometimes known as Frank) Alston Hole, was last known of in l931 at a funeral, and then again on his remarriage to Nellie Florence Hole in 1937.

As he was born in 1871, he would have been 43 at the time of WW1 so I doubt that he served in it.

I have been unable to find any emigration recorded on Ancestry's outgoing passenger list, unless I have missed it. I have found details of two of various children. The third was my mother who definitely didn't come and go.