Author Topic: Dunsmill in Angus?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline KeiDun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunsmill in Angus?
« on: Friday 11 January 13 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a farm or location in Angus called "Dunsmill"?  From the Internet I can see that there is such a place in The Borders region but most of the family activity was centered in Angus and I cannot see why they would have relocated across the water.  The reference concerns the removal of a body from "his father's house at Dunsmill".
Dunbar/Alexander/Moncur/Goodall/Laing/Carnegie

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Dunsmill in Angus?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

There is a Dun's Mill in Dun Angus on the 1841 Census  :-\
Do you know the name of the father / timescale of event ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Duns Mill is still there in 1881.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline KeiDun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev:
Thanks for the quick reply.  I think you may be right.  I am looking at a Death record for 1851 and on closer inspection the handwritten "m" could be capitalized making the entry read "Duns Mill".  This concerns an Alexander Dunbar.  If the records are right and the two Alexanders are the same person, it would appear he was at home on High Street in Arbroath with his wife and family during the census in March, 1851, but died in his father's residence at Duns Mill in June, 1851.  I have previously posted on my missing links with these folks before but keep coming back to try and gain more definite answers to some nagging discrepancies.  As usual, the responses are excellent.  Keith
Dunbar/Alexander/Moncur/Goodall/Laing/Carnegie