Author Topic: Deem_Ridgway_Cox Taunton Somerset  (Read 1545 times)

Offline yazkool

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deem_Ridgway_Cox Taunton Somerset
« on: Saturday 12 January 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am seeking the following and any assistance is appreciated. It seems that my relatives lived, loved, procreated, married and died in Somerset, especially in the Taunton area.

a) Birth details for George Deem ( circa 1800) and Esther Cox. (Circa 1811) and parental details for both people. They Married Taunton St James Jul 24 1826. This is in the transcripts on http://www.wsom.org.uk. There is record of the baptisms of their sons William b. 1831 and George 1834 and the death of George in 1835 (aged 35). Taunton, St James. I have found a record of an Esther Cox being baptised in ST. DECUMANS BAPTISMS 1786 TO 1812 but this was in December 1808. Esther isn't a common name. This doesn't marry with the census of 1841 when she states she is 30 and Arthur is 10 (William Arthur?)  ???

b) Life details, Spouse and Children of the above mentioned William Arthur Deem.

c) Parental details for Arthur George Deem b. Taunton 1881. I know that he married a Lena Voysey in 1903 in Taunton. He would be the grandson of William Arthur above, I think. There are no census details for him before 1911. In that he was overseas. I have traced him to the commissioning crew on HMS Pyramus which sailed out to Australia. He settled in Australia and divorced Lena in 1922.

d) Birth details of Henry Arthur Deem's wife Emily Ridgway possibly born 1865 Nynehead???
They married in Taunton in 1883. He may have been the grandson of William Arthur as well. 

e) Details of the children of  Arthur and Emily. Unfortunately, they were living at 12 Paradise Row, Whitehall in 1891 and were neglecting their children. A trial happened. (Found an article) Children were sent to the 'Union' or workhouse.  The names of the children are Arthur John (My great great grandfather) b. 1884, Eva Ellen circa 1885, Laura Circa 1887, Rosina Elizabeth circa 1889 and Frederick William Henry 1890.

I know  bit about my GGF. I have found traces of Rosina Elizabeth in 1901. She was still at a Bristol workhouse. Census says: Bishopston St Michael and All Angels. Gloucestershire. She was living in a boarding house in 1911 and married in 1917 to a Broomfield. Have found traces of Frederick too down to his modern day relatives who I hope to find to ask they more information.

BUT cannot find any trace of Eva Ellen or Laura and cannot locate workhouse records or census info to confirm anything.

Anyway,

Any help would be appreciated  ;D

Yaz                  

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Deem_Ridgway_Cox Taunton Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 13 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The baptism you have found for Esther could well be the one you were looking for. In the 1841 census, persons over 15 years of age were supposed to have their ages rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 13 14:35 GMT (UK) »
and a 1808 birth would fit much better with a 1826 marriage than a 1911 birth would.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 13 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Don't know if you found this other newspaper article dated two years later.

TEMPLE CLOUD COUNTY COURT : The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post, Monday Oct 16, 1893.

Emily Deem 29 wilful ill-treatment and neglect of her six children, one of whom had since died.

The only corresponding death:  Sept 1893,  Beatrice Lucy Deem aged 0. Taunton. Vol. 5c,  Page 239.

claire

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 13 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Emily could well be the one born in Dec. 1862 Wellington Somerset,  parents~John and Mary. Nynehead only being a few miles away.

1871 Census find the family here, Class  RG10  Piece  2360  Folio  27  Page  8.

claire

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What about this marriage in Taunton Dec. 1908

DEAM Eva Ellen  vol. 5c page 625

Possible grooms: Ibbotson Elliot Clark or William George Dean

Have researched further and she married W G Dean.

claire

Offline yazkool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 January 13 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Wow that's awesome thankyou. I don't know how to reply to you both individually ie on each post that you have written. This has given me more information to go on. I had a win so to speak. I was checking up on Ancestry.com.au. I'm from Australia and it seemed that Laura may have emigrated to Australia. She turned up on a tree for another Ancestry member. I also found her death notice. Funnily enough I did come across a passenger document with a Laura on it the other day and wondered if it was her. She is buried about 20 minutes away from here. I have emailed the person whose tree and hopefully they'll get back to me.

I had not seen the article Claire t. I'll go and look it up. Wow can't believe my GGM had another child. In 1891 she only had 5.  :o

I'm going to look up Eva Ellen Deam...maybe she changed it.

Thankyou. If anyone comes across more regarding my original post I am most thankful. Also if you need help researching your own please ask.

Offline yazkool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 13 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Claire yes you're right. Child 'Lucy' died in 1893 August from Whooping cough as per a number of articles. She died of Whopping cough and I would suspect emaciation. A witness gave the child, Brandy and Milk but she was too far gone. This was 25th of August. Talks about Frederick, Rose and Johnnie in an article. Johnnie being my GGF i suspect. Rose must be Rosina and Frederick well he's Frederick.

Thanks again.

Yaz

Offline yazkool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 January 13 10:06 GMT (UK) »
 ::) ??? :o Seems in 1887 Emily was charged with theft and pawning of clothing of a neighbour...In the article there was reference to, 'Was the baby with her' Affirmative and 'seems happier there than at home.' Wonder if she had another??? Another path to follow.