Author Topic: Help need on Generations Easy Tree Family Tree Program  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Leecalvert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help need on Generations Easy Tree Family Tree Program
« on: Friday 03 June 05 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hello all I'm new here and found you all in searching for help over the web for my Generations Easy Tree Program. I have the 6.0 version and I'm needing help on working on 2 data bases at the same time. I have my mother's father's side all in and now I'm wanting to start on her mother's side and try to copy some of the info from one file to the other. I have inported and exported but I don't know how to have both databases open on the computer screen at the same time. While I have one open on the screen and go to open the other one the 1st one will close. I've looked in the help files and can't find anything on working on 2 @ the same time. I have family origins and I can work on 2 @ the same time.
Can anyone help me? Or is there a book out there I can buy that will help me out?? I have a book for my family origins. But not for Generations. Also is there a newer verison of Generations? I would greatly appreciate any and all help.
Happy Hunting and Hugs,
Lee CALVERT  :-*

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Help need on Generations Easy Tree Family Tree Program
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 05 22:20 BST (UK) »
There are later versions (I have v 8.0 lying somewhere) although the progra is not being developed any longer.

I've had a quick look through the manual but can see nothing about working on multiple databases (or family files as it refers to them) at the same time .

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 June 05 17:55 BST (UK) »
Just double checked ..... the manual actually states that if you open a second "family file" the program will automatically close down the first open file.

Offline Leecalvert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 05 02:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks so very much for your help well I guess I'll work on one at a time lol. Thanks so much, Lee

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 00:32 BST (UK) »
I have been wondering if this idea would be worth trying...

Install a second version of Easy Tree / Generations in a different folder or directory.

The second version should then be treated as a different process, and hopefully won't clash with the first.

I haven't tried it, but there is a chance that it may work.

Hope the above makes sense.

Offline Leecalvert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hey that's a good idea...I'll have to try it! Hope it will work it is hard when your wanting to work on both sides @ one time and can only do one @ a time! Thanks so much for the thought! Thanks, Lee

Offline Skidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 05 06:10 BST (UK) »
This guy here has a fairly advanced solution to what you are wanting to do.... it's probably worth a read.

http://users.sisna.com/mhobart/Generations/Tips/Tip60.html