Author Topic: Emma or Hannah WATSON  (Read 4915 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emma or Hannah WATSON
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 January 13 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Neil

Thanks.

George was a wheelwright/blacksmith living in West Rainham Norfolk. B 1832. He married Eliza Watson Xmas day 1854 in Wisbeach and they set off for Australia almost immediately. Sarah Ann Watson was one of the witnesses on the marriage cert.

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 January 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if Emma was Hannah - you need to download her death which may be this one:

Victoria 1907 #78
Emma EVANS 69
Death Place: Ascot Vale, Victoria
Father:   Watson Wm
Mother:   Margt Marshall

Here's how I found her:

PROV has a digitised will for George PARSONS, blacksmith and wheelwright, of Ascot Vale, d 1900.

Names mentioned in this will:
Daughter and Son-in-law: Eliza beth and William Exell of Ascot Vale
Wife: Sarah
Sister: Maria Ormiston of Helhoughton near Pakenham, Norfolk
Sister: Elizabeth Bristow of Golston, Yarmouth,
William Tyrer, former employee
Harriet Speechley Watson - no relatinship shown
Emma Evans of Carapooey (sic), widow of Richard Evans, late of the same place, miner

There is an index entry on PROV for probate for Emma Evans of Carapooee, d 1907.  Unfortunately the digitised papers linked to the index entry are for another person so no joy there.

However the Australian Death Index gives a death (above) which links her with the Watson family - perhaps the mother's name is mistranscribed or wrongly given by the informant.

I can't see a marriage for Emma just at the moment.

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 January 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith

That's very interesting. A few more details but  still more questions!

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 02:52 GMT (UK) »
From the fiche of the image Book 11, p174, Omega arr Melbourne, 4 May 1855, from Southampton.

#136 PARSONS George, 21, wheelwright, Native country: England, Norfolk, Church of England, can read and write, Disposal: on own account to Flemington
# 137 PARSONS Eliza, no occupation listed - all other details as for George.

In the list of single women:

#326 WATSON Sarah A, 22, housemaid, Native country: England, Cambridge, Church of England, can read and write, Disposal: Mr Bland, Napier St Collingwood. Wages 25 pounds with rations

#327 WATSON Emma, 16, nursemaid.  All other details are the same as those for Sarah except that Mr Bland is only paying her 15 pounds.

It seems to me that these two young women may not be related to your WATSON family.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Judith

Thanks again.
I don't suppose there is a date when George's Will was signed.
He kept in touch with his family back in England and up until 1882 provided funds for various memorials in the churchyard at West Rainham, Norfolk, which was his family home.
Elizabeth Bristow died in 1914 and I believe Harriet (Speechley) Watson died in 1890. She would have been his sister-in-law.

radstockjeff

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 13:04 GMT (UK) »
You can look at his will yourself on PROV. 
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54
I've read it again more closely and added some detail which I may have left out, or may have overlooked previously.

He died 31 Oct 1900 and the will was dated 27 June 1899, with a codicil added 20 September 1900.  This codicil does not change the bequests; it merely changes the name of one of the non-inheriting executors.

His address is given as 12 North St, Ascot Vale.
Harriet Speechley WATSON is niece of Charles WATSON of Monica Rd, Wisbech (no relationship between George and Harriet or her uncle Charles is stated)
His daughter Emma, for whom a trust is set up for after the death of Sarah.
His other daughter is listed later in the will as Elizabeth Margaret EXELL
William EXELL, labourer, lived at 16 Middle St Ascot Vale
There is a son George William PARSONS, known as William, who had died 19 June 1898 (before George).

There is also a comment included in the second set of papers:  "I think a declaration should be made that an error was made in stating deceased's age in certificate of death."  This comment was made by an Insurance Agent to the solicitors regarding a life insurance policy on the deceased.

Judith

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Judith

Once again my thanks. I have now studied the Will and Probate papers.

Harriet still remains a mystery in these proceedings. I need to try and establish a link between her and George's first wife Eliza (Watson)

radstockjeff

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm

I wonder if this is helpful  ???

Charles WATSON (uncle of Harriet Speechly WATSON, beneficiary of George's will), living at Monica Rd, Wisbech in 1891 lists his b'place as Sutton St Edmund, Lincolnshire, England, and his age as 55 thus b abt 1836.

FreReg has these baptisms at St Edmunds Church, Sutton Saint Edmund, Lincoln,with parents William and Margaret WATSON, father's occupations is bricklayer except for one of the baptisms..
04 Nov 1827 Joseph WATSON
05 Sep 1832 Sarah Anne WATSON
16 Aug 1835 Charles WATSON
07 Feb 1839 Edward WATSON, Father builder
23 Mar 1843 George Marshall WATSON, father Mason

In 1841 this family is at Guarnock? Gate, Gedney Hill, Sutton St Edmunds, Lincolnshire

William WATSON   45 bricklayer
Margaret  WATSON 35
William WATSON 20
Caroline  WATSON 17
Joseph  WATSON 12
Eliza  WATSON 11
Sarah  WATSON 9
Charles WATSON 7
Emma  WATSON 3

This looks a reasonable match with the baptisms listed above.

In 1851 it looks as though Margaret has remarried.  Some of the children are with her in Wisbech Rd, Emneth, Lincolnshire
Thomas Bell   60
Margaret Bell   49
Marshall Watson   8
Joseph Watson   22
Emma Watson   12
Charles is with an uncle in Sutton St Edmund,
Sarah A WATSON is a servant in the household of Samuel and Mira SMITH; Samuel is a retired timber merchant in Leverington, Cambs (just outside Wisbech)
(Ancestry has linked Sarah to the wrong image - she is shown on image 31)
Eliza is a servant in Sutton St Mary, with Thomas Lamb Peele, farmer, his wife Eliza and children and staff.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is your WATSON family. 
This is my thinking:

• There are three girls Eliza, Sarah Ann(e) and Emma all of roughly the right ages; Sarah A and Emma now fit with the two WATSON girls on the Omega (Immigration details show the girls'  origin as Cambridgeshire which is where Sarah was living 4 years earlier and Emma just over the border in Lincs.)

Eliza and George's marriage is registered in Wisbech district which covers a number of the places mentioned.

Emma's age fits with the death of Emma EVANS in 1907 in Ascot Vale and the parents listed on the death index fit.

There is the connection to Charles WATSON (mentioned in the will).

There is no Hannah at all.

I know you have the parents as William and "Mary" while this family's mother is Margaret, however it is easy to confuse "marg" with "Mary" on certificates.

Just a theory Radstockjeff  which I'm happy for you to demolish  :)

Judith

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Judith

It looks as though I have been working on the wrong family. I think you are correct. On Eliza's marriage certificate (25th Dec 1854) her father is given as William Watson deceased Builder.

One final question if I may. In 1851 is there a Harriet (age about 2 or three) living with Charles and family at Sutton St Edmund?

Many thanks for putting me straight on this one on which I have been struggling for quite some time.

radstockjeff