Author Topic: Marriage Lookups for Hill Sisters  (Read 2340 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookups for Hill Sisters
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi juliahallemoorhouse,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated.

My apologies for the non response until now, this due to my having a break/hiatus from family research. I am happily back at it now!

I was amazed/astonished to come across your replies! I have spent quite some years trying unsuccessfully to find out what had happened to Euphemia until now. I can't quite believe that i now know after all these years! I am most grateful for the information that you have provided and most appreciative.

It seems the sisters (Euphemia & Isabella) story is as follows:

After losing their sister Alison & possibly their parents as well, they go into service separately as noted in my original post.

By 1876 Isabella is marrying in South Shields registration district to William Runcie. In the 1881 census they are living in Westoe near South Shields with her uncle George Hill (my 3x gt grandfather).

Sometime between 1881 & her marriage in 1884 (also in  South Shields registration district) Euphemia arrives in the South Shields area as well.  But Isabella and her husband William Mark are in Edinburgh by the time of your grandfather Ninian Hill Mark's birth in 1886.

The Runcie's by the way end up in Aberdeen by 1891 & remain there, William Runcie dying in 1896 aged 48 & Isabella dying in 1942 aged 89 years.

I was aware of the Westland connection from my research into Isabella, but hadn't been able to connect them to the family tree properly as I had not been able to find a marriage for George Wilson Westland & his wife Mary. So I had been unable to push that line back so as to connect it!

This is a link to the thread about Isabella Hill & husband William Runcie that I started: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=631637.msg4794677#msg4794677

This a link to the thread about trying to find Isabella & husband William Runcie's burials, also started by me: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=644471.0

If you would like more info regarding the Hill family going back one generation, please do let me know.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)