Author Topic: W C Powell  (Read 10039 times)

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: W C Powell
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi  Paul ,   I wrote you quite a lengthy reply, then lost it when I tried to post it , still learning , and l'm a one fingered typer  so you'll have to patient.I!all try again.Ann

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul. You asked if my father played rugby ?  No he did'nt but he was a well respected boxer in his time . the sporting genes have rubbed off from uncle Bill because my son played first class rugby in wales, also for the Crawshay's' and hen played in France.  His son ( my grandson) also played for Wales under 17/18 s. .I'm glad that you have WC.    Welsh cap, I wonder where that came from? I have a beautiful oil painting o WC  in his Welsh jersey and Welsh cap with 1929 painted on the peak ,it was left to me by my grandparents , WC parents. Also books and paper cuttings.   Its been interesting reading messages on "roots chat line " about WC   and the souvenirs people have collected.   Sorry I can't go into anything more personal , just the norm that most people know. I',llsay bye for now ,and hope you get "this message".  Regards Ann.

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 August 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi  Rob. I spoke to my sister, and Surprise Surprise !!! She can remember visiting. Neil McNeil with my. Grandma Powell ( WC ,s mother )in trinant. She can remember an EMMA ,  and she thinks it could be. Gransha  powell,'s  that's WC,s father. SISTER.....  so great news,  we maybe related after all..... She can remember gransha having. 4 brothers,  Herbert. Sam. EB .and Jack. ....but not any other sisters apart from EMMA.......Well she thinks its EMMA..... She said she must have only been about. 12yrs old. But she can remember. Neil McNeil being a big man--- like a rugby player.. So a good result so far.... Are you still living local. .. Were in Bargoed. ,??? Bye for now Ann.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 August 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

I have just spotted that "Paul Richardson" has turned off his notifications of new replies on RootsChat so sadly he will have not have been notified of your new replies.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 August 15 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,  Aah sorry about that  I,m sure he would have been pleased that we are making some connection at last . kind regards. Ann

Offline welshrugbyfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 August 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
          Thanks for the reply.I too am a dreadful typist.W.C. features in several Welsh rugby history books which I have but have to be mindful here of copyright.I believe I can contact you with details if you so wish via this site but in a less public way.Am away for a few weeks shortly.Besides what I added about him previously he also played for Northampton but was playing for Abertillery when he was 16.It was allowed then but was stopped in the early to mid 1950's.Have a feeling that Geoffrey Crawshay,a direct descendant of the Merthyr Ironmasters may have been involved in his recruitment to the Welsh Guards.Crawshay who was a Capt. in that regiment ran and financed his own "private" rugby team.(Refer to other post re same).The annual tour of Cornwall was eagerly anticipated and not just by the players.They were effectively an international team or close to it.Not sure if you require the rugby info that I have but let me know here if you do.Hopefully this is of some interest to you and others,
           Regards,
                        Hugh

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 August 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Hugh, we know most of the history book stuff. Waiting for the library to do more searches , their getting back to me . Hopefully we may get a family connection for Rob. ..were in the process of  finding our first cousin (WC's son to fill in the many family gaps ....Yesterday I was reading a very emotional letter sent from  WC to our grandma Powell. after the death of his father.....(Gandma Powell was  Wc's mother) ......His son still lives in Jo burgh ......Hope my information finds him soon , because were all  in God's Waiting Room ) !!!! I should have done this years ago,,,,,,I'm kicking myself now .......I'll keep in touch . Bye for now.. Ann...

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 August 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
          Thanks for the reply.I too am a dreadful typist.W.C. features in several Welsh rugby history books which I have but have to be mindful here of copyright.I believe I can contact you with details if you so wish via this site but in a less public way.Am away for a few weeks shortly.Besides what I added about him previously he also played for Northampton but was playing for Abertillery when he was 16.It was allowed then but was stopped in the early to mid 1950's.Have a feeling that Geoffrey Crawshay,a direct descendant of the Merthyr Ironmasters may have been involved in his recruitment to the Welsh Guards.Crawshay who was a Capt. in that regiment ran and financed his own "private" rugby team.(Refer to other post re same).The annual tour of Cornwall was eagerly anticipated and not just by the players.They were effectively an international team or close to it.Not sure if you require the rugby info that I have but let me know here if you do.Hopefully this is of some interest to you and others,
           Regards,
                        Hugh
Hi Hugh Hope you got my message?? I sent it to Paul by mistake sorry. .... Give me back my PEN and PAPER  any day of the week .....Regards Ann.

Offline welshrugbyfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 August 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
 Yes I did get you earlier message.Thanks for the reply.Have an email here somewhere(I hope) in a reply to a request from me.I sent it to a person I know, who is a leading authority on these matters.He is also an author.Have met another author who featured W.C.in a 1980 book on Welsh rugby greats but if the library can come up with more then so be it.The first mentioned is in fact a walking library,
            Regards,
                        Hugh.