Author Topic: W C Powell  (Read 10040 times)

Offline welshrugbyfan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: W C Powell
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Paul but not sure if you mean me re the card.It seems that everyone must remain anonymous.Have now obtained even more about"Wic" and have a few pages of info in relation to his rugby.He emigrated to South Africa circa 1947 having already qualified as an architect and lived there until his passing in the early 1970's(Jo'burg).Are you with l.a.w.
                        Regards,
                                     Hugh.

Offline hencarrai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul & Hugh,
sorry I haven't got back to you sooner.
Yes there is lots of info available re WC, he must have been some player. My main task was to link him to my uncle's wife.
I have failed miserably in my attempt, maybe the family folklore is off beam.
I still haven't payed out for a birth certificate. I guess I'm going to have to in order to prove one way or another. I don't like buying certificates though (tight Welshman).
Many thanks for your interest and information,
Rob

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 August 15 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi rob I'm new at this lark so please forgive me. Iamthe niece of the late. WC wick Powell . he was my father's elder brother. Will was one of 3 bothers my father  jack the middle other and George was theyoungest. Obviously his parents were my grandparents..l was just poodling about when I came across my our message .  if I can help.  Anymore I,d be glad to .hope you get this its my very first go at it .  lol.

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 August 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi rob  did you get my message I sent you yesterday . not to good at this so I'm having a second try. , WC was my uncle ,but he did,not have any sisters ' there was just 3 brothers  .uncle bill the eldest , my father. John. (Jack )  and George  the youngest. . unfortunately thy are all now dead ' my father being the last to die..is there anything else I can  help with.  .regards   annpatpow.

Offline hencarrai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 August 15 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello ‘Ann’,
Thanks for getting in touch.
Looks like I’ve been led up the garden path here by my cousin. It must be wishful thinking on his part that ‘our’ William was the rugby international.
From your info re brothers of William Powell being George and Jack we are definitely speaking of different Williams.
The William I am looking for was born in Trinant, Mon. in 1883. His parents were Patrick and Hannah (Anna).
He had 11 siblings but no George nor Jack for brothers.
Thanks very much for trying to help.
Rob

Offline welshrugbyfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hello "Ann,"
                Just wondering if W.C.'S brothers played rugby.I dare say you know more about him than I do but he was an intriguing player and personality.Not sure if you are a rugby follower.Did you know him?

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi  rob. So sorry all your searching was in vain .    we are in the process of talking to our cousin  (uncle bill,s son ) who also is a retired architect who still lives in Johannesburg. I,ll reply to a few others on chat line  and maybe you will still be interested on what's said . All the best to you . Ann.

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
       I have an interest in Wick Powell the former Wales scrum half of the late 1920's to Mid 1930'S.In fact I have his Wales trial cap from 1929/30, recently purchased.Have not used this site previously.If you would like a photo ot the cap you would be very welcome but how?.His main club was London Welsh together with the Welsh Guards.Apart from Crawshays he had also played for Abertillery.The inside of the cap is inscribed WC Powell Welsh Guards so he was still a soldier /guardsman then.Also have other info but am aware of copyright issues.Not sure why he went to South Africa.Perhaps he liked the sun.
     He was a very very fine player indeed.Not sure if you are a rugby follower(hope so) but he was in the Terry Holmes /Michael Phillips mold.Big strong and very powerful.Probably figures in the all time "top ten" of Welsh scrum halves.Maybe in the top 5.Until  1972/3 he was the second most capped Wales scrum half since 1881.Hope this is of use,
                                                                               Regards.
Hi  rob. So sorry all your searching was in vain .    we are in the process of talking to our cousin  (uncle bill,s son ) who also is a retired architect who still lives in Johannesburg. I,ll reply to a few others on chat line  and maybe you will still be interested on what's said . All the best to you . Ann.

Offline annpatpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
       I have an interest in Wick Powell the former Wales scrum half of the late 1920's to Mid 1930'S.In fact I have his Wales trial cap from 1929/30, recently purchased.Have not used this site previously.If you would like a photo ot the cap you would be very welcome but how?.His main club was London Welsh together with the Welsh Guards.Apart from Crawshays he had also played for Abertillery.The inside of the cap is inscribed WC Powell Welsh Guards so he was still a soldier /guardsman then.Also have other info but am aware of copyright issues.Not sure why he went to South Africa.Perhaps he liked the sun.
     He was a very very fine player indeed.Not sure if you are a rugby follower(hope so) but he was in the Terry Holmes /Michael Phillips mold.Big strong and very powerful.Probably figures in the all time "top ten" of Welsh scrum halves.Maybe in the top 5.Until  1972/3 he was the second most capped Wales scrum half since 1881.Hope this is of use,
                                                                               Regards.