Author Topic: Who was Jane Short?  (Read 7067 times)

Offline gcranham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Jane Short?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 December 13 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra~
So it seems that your son-in-law and I are distant cousins??  And is he descended from Laurence and Charlotte's son, Laurence??  I do have quite a bit of information on all of Laurence and Charlotte's children...can't wait to share!!  I'm hoping after this post that I will be able to privately send several documents...yeah!!
Gina

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 December 13 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I looked and looked for your third post in my mail box.  Nothing showed . just had the sense to look on roots chat web and you had answered.

I have pmd you.

Regards sandra

Offline Oreo2008

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 12:05 BST (UK) »
Here's the baptism of Lawrence William Short in Ashover, Derbyshire on 29th March 1833

Name   Laurence William Holwell

Sex   Male
Father's Name   William Holwell Short

Mother's Name   Eliza Maria Decima Griffies Short
Event Type   Christening
Event Date   29 Mar 1833
Event Place   Ashover, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom

Eliza Maria Decima Griffies Williams is the brother of Rev. David Herbert Thackeray Griffies Williams (1805-1877). He is buried in Llandyfeisant Graveyard on the Dynevor Estate in Llandeilo Carmarthenshire, Wales which is the focus of my research.

Offline Oreo2008

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 13:03 BST (UK) »
Here is the obituary of William Jones Evans, the Solicitor and Agent for Llwynywormwood. The Misses Williams mentioned below are the daughters of Rev. D.H.T. Griffies Williams, brother of Eliza Maria Decima Griffies Williams, Llwynywormwood, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire, Wales

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3747020/3747026/150/Llwynhelig
Tuesday, 6th November 1900
DEATH OF MR W. J. EVANS, LLANDOVERY - OLDEST PRACTISING SOLICITOR
£6,000 LEFT TO HIS CLERK.
The death is announced of Mr William Jones Evans, of Vron. The deceased gentleman, who was 85 years of age and a bachelor, was admitted a solicitor in 1839, since which time he successfully practised at Llandovery. He was believed to be about the oldest practising solicitor in the kingdom. Mr Evans was agent for the Llwynywormwood Estates for nearly 50 years, and a better agent and landlord never existed. The town of Llandovery and the whole neighbourhood mourns his loss, for he was highly respected by one and all.

The death occurred on Thursday, and the funeral, which was private, took place on Monday. The interment was at Llandingat Churchyard, and the only persons present were some of deceased's personal friends.

We understand the persons principally benefited by the testator’s will are Colonel H. Davies Evans, of Highmead  (lord lieutenant of Cardiganshire), the Misses Williams, of Llwynhelig, Llandilo, and the testator's clerk, Mr John Rees, of Gloucester House, Llandovery. It appears Mr Rees had been Mr Evans' confidential clerk for the last 33 years, and all his friends in and out of Llandovery will be glad to know that the testator has left him by his will real and personal estate to the value of something like £6,000. We understand that the will also contains bequests in favour of the Carmarthenshire Infirmary, towards which institution the deceased gentleman had only recently given £100, the Solicitors' Benevolent Association, and the National Schools of Llandovery and Mothvey.

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional information.

My son in law and I were discussing his short ancestors yesterday.

Lawrence son of  the Reverend Lawrence short enlisted with the east india company. He became a coffee plantation owner in south india.All his descendants remained in India until 1947.  My son in laws mother married and moved to Pakistan. She died in Oregon.. USA.

I have searched and searched and find it impossible to find out where john short of madras came from. And no information on his wife.